Bench grinder modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench grinder modification

Well I could only find a jacobs chuck with a 3/8" or 1/2" fine thread hole to mount it to something. I took the chuck to a machinest friend of mine, he drilled it out and put a 5/8" coarse thread on it. I was then able to replace the keeper nut on the grinding stone with the chuck, Perfect. Now all I have to do is use a hole saw and cut a 2 1/2" hole on the cover and put it back on. Then I will be ready to use my pneumatic drum sander.
    Attached Files

Are you going to leave the "grinding wheel" on when using the drum sander?

Comment

Personally I think a griinder is a bit fast for a drum sander application. I simply mounted a chuck on an old 1750 rpm motor and it works fine. If you are going to use the grinder as a sander I would take off the stone. If you have ever seen a stone explode you will know why. I always stand back and to the side when starting my grinder until it comes to speed for a minute just to be save.

Tom

Comment

yes I will be removing the stone while using the sander, and I purchased a low speed grinder, 1725 rpm.

Comment

You have a winner there,would be handy for other attachments.
          Tony

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Reply to My beauties
            by will8989
            He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap...
            Today, 10:55 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
            by Rolf
            Like Bob said clamp a straight edge to the table and adjust it to compensate for the blade drift. There are some blades that have no or very little drift. Like the Olson PGT series it also seems to me that the Pegas MGT 3 or larger cut very straight....
            Today, 07:54 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to My beauties
            by Rolf
            I now you do beautiful work but I have to say your attention to details on these baskets is impressive. soft smooth edges, no visible glue squeeze out. And of course the cutting boards are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce cut a spline in the end of the board and then dowels. I have not seen that...
            Today, 07:49 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to My beauties
            by NC Scroller
            You are one busy lady. About how long does it take to cut one?
            Today, 05:51 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Hegner Multimax-18 for sale Tucson
            by NC Scroller
            Good luck.
            Today, 05:47 AM
          Working...
          X