Got the Johnson Paste Wax..now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the Johnson Paste Wax..now what

I finally found a can of the Johnson paste wax that I've heard so much about for protecting the tables of your various saws. Now I have two questions:
    1.) What do you use to clean a fairly new table with prior to waxing?
    2.) Same question about a table that may have a twinge of rust on it?
    Years ago I had heard of using WD-40 and steel wool...not so sure that is ok.

thanks,

Phil J.

Start with any oil and a green scrubby. If that is not enough go to 0000 steel wool and WD 40 or a penetrating oil. If that does not work look for Boeshield, which has both a cleaner and a protector/sealer.

Rub a good coat of wax on the clean surface, let dry to a haze, and buff. Usually have to repeat about once a month depending on use.
    Got Moose?

Comment

Yes, you can use WD 40 and steel wool to clean your cast iron tables even with a little rust. Wipe down the table with mineral spirits, let dry then apply the wax. Let it dry for a few Minutes, then buff the wax with a clean with a lint free cloth.
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Same instructions here. Works for me all the time.
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Larry and Dan have it right. My DeWalt is still slick after two years by applying wax every month or so.
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I sanded my 788 table with my orbital sander and 220 then 400. Wiped it down with spirits then applied a heavy coat of paste wax. It took a month of heavy use to UN-SLICK to where I liked it. For me once or twice a year is plenty. Did the same on my disc sander tables and table saws including fences.
            May the wind at you back .....
            Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Thanks for all of the great replies! WD-40 and #0000 steel wool are easy enough to come by.

Phil J.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X