DW788 or DELTA 40-690? Mobile Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DW788 or DELTA 40-690? Mobile Stand

HELP --- everywhere i look for a mobile base for a DW788 SS I get directed to the HTC 2158, and then to Amazon.com, where it is currently unavailable. Any suggestions?

I just bought the new saw (DW788) and would like to put it on the base from the start, so please help now!
    Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

I use the three leg mobile stand that DeWalt sells. I put 3" wheels on it and it works fine, almost.

The three leg stand is really prone to tipping over. he expansion joint in my garage concrete floor can cause one leg to hang up and since it is top heavy it can fall. The cure is to use a four leg stand or mount a three leg stand on a four wheel platform. These mobile platforms run about $50 or so.
    Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

How about installing it on an old BBQ? Most likely will work with a few modifications.

Roger

Comment

I was thinking, maybe a four wheel base with a plywood insert and the the stand mounted to it.

Thoughts, warnings?

Comment

Here's an Alternative to a Full Mobile Base

I too looked at various mobile bases for my Delta 40-690 scroll saw with its stand. They all took up more space than I wanted to use and raised the scroll saw table higher than I cared to work. Then I came across the following Woodnet forum post that described a simple approach. WoodNet Forums: (Yet another) Mobility solution for the Delta 40-690 scroll saw

So I got 2 inline skate wheels on sale at Walmart for $3 and bought a short length of 5/16" dia threaded rod plus nylon lock nuts and washers and made the same thing as is displayed in the above WoodNet post. Although I didn't include the rubber pads and bolts for the front stand legs. The scroll saw / stand is very stable (with the wheels installed) when using the scroll saw. To move my scroll saw/stand, I lift up on the front stand legs and maneuver much like one lifts up and pushes a wheel barrow. Like a wheelbarrow, it's a bit tippy when it's moving, so I move it slowly. Here are a couple of photos of my set up. Serves my needs ... gives me mobility with a very small footprint, very low cost, no height increase at front of scroll saw.

Tom
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Wdcrvr; 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Tom, I love this approach and going to try it his weekend as I set my saw up.

Thanks.

Comment

I represent the New Delta, Delta Power Equipment Corp., and you could use a 50-345 universal mobile base but you will need to add a plywood panel once he has the mobile base assembled to the correct dimensions. There is no place for the rear leg to sit unless you put in the panel.

Originally posted by SteveK View Post
              HELP --- everywhere i look for a mobile base for a DW788 SS I get directed to the HTC 2158, and then to Amazon.com, where it is currently unavailable. Any suggestions?

I just bought the new saw (DW788) and would like to put it on the base from the start, so please help now!

Comment

Thanks, Paul.

I used Tom's (wdcvr) approach this weekend. I got the inline skate wheels locally for $3 each. The assorted hardware was ~$2 total. That was easier then assembling the DW stand. (should have had another set of hands).

Wheels work fine. Overall the saw and stand is very tippy. Thinking I will add a board across the bottom of the front two legs to widen the front footprint to stabilize the setup. Anyone tried this?

Comment

I mounted my three legged DW788 stand on 3/4 inch plywood cut slightly wider and longer than the stand to handle room for bolting on casters. I mounted the plywood on 4 inch swivel locking casters and then placed a 40 pound bag of water softner salt on the plywood under the stand for added weight and stability. With the 4 inch casters and extra weight this rolls around my garage or into the driveway and out with no problems and is very stable and vibration free.
                  Doug

Take what you do seriously
                  Never take yourself too seriously

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Sundays market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                    Today, 11:39 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to New tools
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                    Today, 11:36 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                    Today, 11:32 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by NC Scroller
                    I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                    Today, 11:30 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    That insert definitely is an issue they need to bring up to the standards and quality of the rest of the machine!

I did the modification they recommended on mine so it wouldn't rub the blade. And, sure enough their supplied blade had blown out 2 of the tips on the teeth because of the...
                    Today, 11:25 AM
                  Working...
                  X