Buying a new scroll saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new scroll saw

I accidently posted on the carvers board, but I meant to post here. I really would like to get into scrolling, but need some input on the type of saw to buy. I've read quite a bit on the various saws and there seems to be good and bad points on them all. I'm considering a RBI Hawk, but am also looking at Dewalt 788 or Delta Q3. I've read that a 3 legged stand is more stable as far as vibration, however the Hawk seems to come with a 4 legged stand. Any suggestions? Thank you

Re: Buying a new scroll saw

Well asking what scrollsaw to buy is like asking what car to buy. You say you are just getting into scrolling, well one says that it is ussually followed by not much money for a scrollsaw so what is the best and cheapest? In your case you mention a highly priced saw the RBI. I can say this I own 2 RBI a 20' and a 26' and a 18' Hegner which is a good saw also and a Dewalt 788. They are all good saws. I prefer the RBI saws and these are my main saws. I would not look at any saw below the $500 range which includes the Dewalt and the Delta P20. After that The RBI and Hegner are great saws. The Dewalt and the Delta are top feeding saws. The new RBI is either top or bottom feeder. The Dewalt can also be used as a bottom feeder. The others are bottom feeeders. I prefer bottom feeding because this is what I learned on and have no problem with it at all and I scroll alot.

As far as buying a good idea is to see them first hand so if a woodworking show is coming to town I highly recomend attending for they have all the saws there and you can see first hand and try them.

As far as the stand thing goes it does not matter if it is 3 or 4 or even 2 legged. Just needs to be on something solid like a concrete floor. Not on a raised floor. These are all selling points when they tell you 3 legs is better than 4.
    John T.

Comment

I truly don't see how you can beat the DeWalt for the money. Around $400 over the internet can buy you the 788 plus table and light. I've been scrolling for 13 years and have had one DeWalt for about nine of those. I make very intricate jigsaw puzzles and the one time it failed (the upper blade clamp broke) I received outstanding service.

My backup saw is a Black & Decker, which I bought only three years ago for $110 and it works just fine. I would not use it for the extremelydelicate work for which the DeWalt is better.

For the work I do, using primarily 1/4" wood, I can't see spending $1000 and more for a scroll saw. The Dewalt is a real best buy.

Good lick.........Carter

Comment

Saws and prices

I see lots of recommendations and for the most part I agree with "you get what you pay for"
        I have been using a 16"delta VS saw for 8 years or so now. I would like a bigger saw someday. As for pricing, I know this is a US site and US prices are quoted. It is just hard for me to come up with $699 for a Dewalt or even more for some of the other saws. Even if I saw 30 to 40 hours a week it is still a hobby.
        Mind you I also drive an old car that I only paid $900 for. All a matter of value for the money I guess.
        I have lots of fun and no one can deny that.
        There is a great link on this site Choosing a Scroll Saw from issue 12. Worth the read. Also worth picking up that issue of the magazine to see which scroll saws the pros use and why they use them.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Sanzim, I don't believe Delta makes the Q3 anymore. The top of the line for Delta is the P-20. Delta also has 2 16" saws that I know of. The SS250 and the SS350SL. I looked at both the Dewalt 788 and the Delta P-20 and chose the P-20 because of the great blade clamp system they have. Mick.
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Go with the Delta P-20. It is just a little more than the DeWalt but a better build and heavier saw. People who had a DeWalt and now a P-20 felt that they got alot better saw. The DeWalt and Delta are all from Black and Decker. The Q-3 is long gone. Check Amazone.com.

Mike M
            SD Mike

Comment

I don't want to get into a religious argument here, but I do have to say that the "great blade clamp system" on the Deltas escapes my understanding. What could be simpler or more effective than the simple screw clamp on the DeWalt? I own both, mind you, and I am talking from experience when I say I find the Delta blade clamp cumbersome and annoying.

It may be the fact that I use up to three different blade sizes on a single project and I find re-adjusting the clamp to be a pain in the arts and crafts. You turn the little knob and then throw the clamp and it's too loose and so you release the clamp and turn the knob some more and throw the clamp and then it's too tight so you release the clamp and back the knob off some and so on. With the simple clamp you put the blade in and turn the knob. Done. The Delta clamp is an improvement only on the older Delta clamps that required a tool, though at least the older one gave you feedback while you were turning the tool, rather than only after throwing a lever.

Comment

Steve, wait until your fingers are almost 70 years old and then you will understand. Mick.
                Mick, - Delta P-20

Comment

Steve,

Besides the blade clamps what do you like better of both saws? I know that Bill Y had the DeWalt and now the P-20 and can't believe how much better the P-20 is. Do you feel the same. The best blade clamps are the Hegner. You use a clamp for each different blade. When you want to switch blades while cutting, you just replace the calmp with an other what has the right blade in it already.

Mike M
                  SD Mike

Comment

Same way the RBI is a seperate blade clamp for each blade. I too do not and never will like the Delta blade clamp assembly. Someone mentioned being 70 and turning a clamp. You can make an oversized wheel for a turning knob to help there. The Dewalt is a very good saw and the comparison lies only in the blade clamping system. Remember the speed changing mechanism on a Delta P20 is a pulley system as opposed to an electronic system on the Dewalt.
                    John T.

Comment

Blade clamp

I for one love the Deltas quickclamp system.
                      I can swap a blade faster than any other system. When you are cutting a few hundred frets it is a real asset.
                      Just a preference thats all.
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

What the heck would we talk about on this forum if we all had the same saw and wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked the same things. Whichever saw you are comfortable using is the best one. Mick.
                        Mick, - Delta P-20

Comment

Mick,

"Not everyone likes the same girl either".

Mike M
                          SD Mike

Comment

I have the DeWalt, and no complaints what so ever, so far I've pretty much just have done puzzle cutting, and never an issue once the table is well aligned. The best Blade(s) that I've found are via Mike.... bravo, the olson blades I had been using I would just go through too many I felt, I'm still on the first pack of blades from Mike and it's been over a year and a half and I do a lot of cutting.

cutting up one piece at a time

Comment

Mike, Now that would really create a problem if we all liked the same girl. Mick.
                              Mick, - Delta P-20

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X