Old Saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Saws

I'm curious about old saws. I'm restoring several old 24" (Craftsman aka Walker-Turner, Powermatic, Delta) scroll saws and was wondering if anyone still uses them. I haven't seen any reference to them. Is this because people don't like them or because they are harder to find? Are they just so antiquated that no one wants them?

Ken

Nice restoration. I think one of the reasons no one uses them anymore is because of the blade tensioning system. They use the spring so you end up with a blade tension that changes trough the stroke. The other thing is how easy is it to release the blade tension and blade when doing fretwork.
    I like the fact that it has a true vertical stroke.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

You might talk to Rick, he has a bunch of old saws.
      Rick's Scrollsaw

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

That saw is absolutely beautiful. Where do you find your parts?

-------Randy
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
          That saw is absolutely beautiful. Where do you find your parts?

-------Randy
          Thanks, Randy. Mostly I get parts on OWWM.org. Lots of people into collecting the old stuff. Here's a Beebe Bros saw my Dad had when he was a kid. (Built in 1930/31).

Ken

Comment

Wow, I don't think I seen one of those even in Ricks collection

Very Nice

------Randy
            "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Very nice! I had a similar Delta-Rockwell years ago. After I got a new saw I would put 5-inch pieces of band saw blades in it for rough cuts that my bandsaw couldn't handle - very powerfull saw!

Phil J.

Comment

I like the old jig saws and have had a Craftsman 18 inch for 30 plus years. I started jig sawing at age 6 or 7 on my Dads Velocityped pedal driven saw ( a 1/4 hp motor added later). The 18 inch Craftsman sets to the left of my work bench and is the most used tool in the shop (15 inch drill press and 14 inch band saw are next to it). I picked up a like new one from the 50s and will motor it up when the grand sons get older.

Recently bought a basket case Delta 24 inch like your picture and restored it. It has many more parts, more places for oil to leak out and some of the die cast castings had to be restored with MarineTex metal filled epoxy ( the stuff they fix cracks in boat motor castings sometimes). I am planing to make a stand for it and look forward to running it too.

Charlie

Comment

Nice restoration. I have an old Craftsman, from the 40's that I used to use, now it sits on the shelf with my other old "stuff".

Comment

Beautful pieceof work! It rightfully belongs to the vintage machinery site.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments. I have several more to restore but I'm not sure if anyone will want them when I finish. I was hoping that some people might prefer them over the newer saws but it doesn't appear that they can compete. I have another Delta, a Craftsman (Walker Turner) and a Powermatic in the queue to be restored (all 24"). Just need to get busy...
                      Ken

Comment

Very nice restoration! I see the motor has twin shafts, are there accessories for the machine?
                        Dave
                        "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

I ran across a website some time back where a commercial business that uses only the old saws. They do fret work and sell online and in stores. Main reason they use them. Perfect vertical movement of blade and they saw forever. Require slower sawing because of tension system. Bunch of them on ebay. If I did not have 2 craftsman saws I would buy a powermatic. Add to collection. Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X