Dust Collection Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection Systems

Im looking for some advice on purchasing a portable dust collection system for my shop. I have a scrollsaw, pneumatic drum sander, drill press that I mop sand with and various other wood shaping tools. I think a portable system would work better for me but im concerned about how loud the vaccuum will be.I use ear protection but ive talked to some wood guys that tell me to put it into another room because they are loud.Any advice would be appreciated or maybe even a past thread on this topic would help. thanks BD.

I am not sure what you mean by "portable dust collector". I have a dust collector similar to this: Buy Craftex 2Hp Dust Collector - CT030 from Busy Bee Tools. With a noise level of 70db at 3 feet.

I also have an air cleaner similar to this: Buy Craftex Deluxe 3 Speed Air Cleaner With Romote - CT168 from Busy Bee Tools. With a noise level of 55 db at 3 feet.

By comparison my table saw puts out 80 db just running and about 90 db when actually cutting.

If I am doing scroll work the dust collector is to noisy as far as I am concerned as I do not like to use ear protection when I am scrolling for a long time. Bottom line, if you are talking a dust collector as above it is noisy and putting it in a seperate room, if possable, is agood idea.

Tom

Comment

There are many threads ,concerning all forms of dust collection ,machine direct as well as shop area air recirculation filtration ,central to portable.
      The system is user specific ,equip,space.volume of dust,etc. go thru threads page by page and pick out dust related .probably find a couple hours at least.
      M.V.B.
      Carl
      "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
      Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

In addition to dust collection and filtration of air in your shop, consider a good dust mask for things like sanding, as it is next to impossible to collect most of the dust created when sanding.
        Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

I agree with Jim...after spending time in the Hospital with lung problems, I now wear the Trend helmet system. Takes a little getting used to, but now I wear it all the time. Take care of your lungs.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

thanks for the quick replies back . after I started this thread I went into past threads about dust collection systems and found lots of info. btw I do wear a dust mask but I am getting more into exotic lumber and the last thing I want is lung problems. A dust mask is fine but not good enough for fine particulates so I am more committed to purchasing a good portable dc. I am a welder by trade and I use a smoke eater at work so why not protect my lungs at home . I hope to keep up the woodworking as a retirement hobby and lung protection is now my priority . thanks again BD.

Comment

BD -- I hope you are able to take care of those lungs. I decided a while back that breathing was more important than hearing, so I have a big DC in my shop. Please let us know what you decide on -- and how it is working once you have all the pieces in place.
              Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

As mentioned, our lungs are important. As to DC, there are many solutions for particular needs. Portable solutions are noisy, but better then nothing. In choosing your solution, you need to consider the size of your workshop and tools and their particular positions.

My workshop is a 24' X 24' space with a couple of posts in the middle. I also have short ceilings,about 7 ft. I bought a 1HP Jet filter with a long flexible hose. In the corner that this set up will not reach, I have a shorter hose to connect with the longer one. The best part of my setup is a remote switch. I can make the connections and start my DC as if it were next to me. If you make your setup to hard to connect and or turn on and off, you'll end up not using as often as you should.

One other comment, Jim is right about sanding. I always use a mask for that procedure because a DC doesn't solve the problem. But besides a mask, I also have an old window box fan I place on the end of my workbench sucking up a good portion of the dust. And on the intake side of the fan, facing my work area, I've taped a 20 X 20 furnace filter. It catches a lot of dust, but not all.
                It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

dust collection noise

The biggest complaint about DC noise I'm familiar with is using a shop vac for a Dust Collector. Shop vacs have a smaller impeller and a higher speed AC universal motor. That combination causes the high pitch howl we hear from shop vacs of most brands. The motors also burn out faster under constant use such as scrolling. They are good for cleaning up afterwards or for short cycle jobs like miter saws and band saws. A good brand like Delta, Jet, etc., use a commercial grade induction motor spinning a larger impeller that moves more air with less noise. A high efficiency canister filter also decreases the noise as well as providing better filtration, especially when sanding. These type DC's run all day when needed without overheating, and will outlast a dozen or more shop type vacs. This is from years of personal experience in a factory setting.
                  Like some others have said, your lung will appreciate the cost. Many common woods like walnut and oak are "sensitizers", meaning that they make you more susceptible to other irritants like pollen, grass clippings, etc.
                  Hope this helps, Lou

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X