Drill press problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press problem

I think I posted this before, but I'll be darned if I can find it. I have a newer floor model Delta drill press and I am having a bit of a problem. It is with the teeth that are attached to the side of the pole. For some reason when I try to raise or lower the table, instead of it going up or down smoothly, the teeth are just bending away from the pole. I have white grease on the teeth part. As I raise or lower the table, it will bow the teeth and they are walking around the pole. I have not done anything differently than before. If I have asked this question before, I am sorry for repeating myself..
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

I am not sure if I understand. It is just a basic rack an pinion. On my Delta the rack (teeth) is attached to the bottom of the column with a collar. Once I release the table lock the crank takes the table up and down. It should be linear motion I don't see what would cause the rack to bow out.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I agree Rolf....but something is wrong. I have release all locks and the darn thing (the teeth) are still bowed out away from the pole and the more I crank, the more bowed it becomes? The teeth are attached at the bottom, but pulls away from the top ring when I crank the table.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Have you brushed your teeth? Maybe some debris got caught in there hiding from your view, or one is chipped.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WD I was thinking about that today. I think I will give it a good look tomorrow and I know I will have to take the darn thing apart and give it a good look over.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

Larry, sounds like something is binding. Whatever it is, it is holding your table from moving up or down. That's all I can think of, since you said you had the table unlocked. Good Luck.
            PERK

Comment

check your rack ,one end may be loose and binding because it is out of line,no longer straight vertical ,may even be cracked,if not jamming on foriegn object ,must be out of line jamming on it's self. best quess!
              M.V.B.
              Carl
              "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
              Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Yes it attached at the bottom of the pole but each time I try to raise or lower the table, the part with the teeth bulges out and pulls away from the top ring that holds it in place. It is trying to move around the pole. I think I need to take the table off and make sure there are no breaks or missing teeth. I had the same thing happen years ago on another machine and I can not remember what I did to fix it. I will have better look at it tomorrow.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

I had that problem with a drill press I got from a flea market. I did two things to remedy the problem.

I disassembeld the table mount from the pole and cleaned the rust off the inside with steel wool. I then cleaned the pole with stel wool also.

I waxed the pole to inhibit rerusting and to give it a slick easy sliding surface.

For the rack, I attached it to the upright with hose clamps. Hopefully you can place them where they are not in the way where you usually need to move the table.

The rack once bent dosen't seem to want to stay straight, You may have to replace that part.
                  Last edited by Tenfingers 2; 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM.
                  Political correctness is always political and rarely correct!

Comment

Can we assume you got it resolved?
                    Carl
                    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Late to the party, but when you crank the arm does it start to bulge at the same point in the circle? Can you not complete a single revolution? Have you tried placing it on its side and trying the crank that way? Maybe as others mentioned a piece of debris in the teeth?
                      Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

I just have not taken the time to work on the Drill press...something I need to do tomorrow. I will take everyones advice in trying to fix this darn thing....Thank you everyone. I will let you know the out come
                        Hawaiilad
                        Larry

Comment

The collars usually have a little set screw, if it came lose that could allow the rack to wobble

Comment

It's past the wobble stage...it's into the bowed stage when I try to move the table. But you are correct, there is a set screw in the collar and they are tight.
                            Hawaiilad
                            Larry

Comment

Larry I purchased a new General international drill press today. I was also looking at the crank that raises or loweres the table. The top end of the rack bar is tapered and sits loosley in a tapered ring. The bottom is fixed, but the rack bar also rotates around the pole. Hard to say why the bar on your Delta bulges out like that, hope you found the problem.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by welcon2; 03-17-2012, 10:45 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X