Serious Pneumatic drum sanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Pneumatic drum sanders

I have decided to stop screwing around with the assorted half assed sanding setups that I have been using for my intarsia. I have a 4" inflated drum in my lathe, OK but too high for comfortable sanding. I need a permanent setup with a 6" or 8" drum at the right height. I do have my Jet spindle sander great for the touchups, a 12 disk sander, and lots of good tools for the detail work.I am cosidering building my own mandrel and buying the drums but would prefer to buy something ready to go.
    Anyone have one of these?
    What do all you hard core Intarsia wizards use?
    I want this but not for $1200. This is what Judy Gale Roberts has.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rolf; 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

After drooling over the Sand Rite for about 10 years I finally bought one back in Sept.
    I got the same drum sizes you see there on Judy's. I also have the flex drum and the small Foredom with the small detail sanders. So I think I am set when it comes to shaping. That Sand Rite really does hog off some material. You can contour better and more even, I love it.

Comment

I am jealous! I am seriously considering building my own.
      What is the horsepower and speed?
      Rolf

Comment

It is a 3/4 HP Baldor motor that spins at 1200rpm.
        This was my 50th birthday present from my wife. We live about 60 miles from the company which is near downtown Chicago. So we drove down on my bday to pick one up in person. You have your choice of drum configurations and then got to chose the sleeve grits. I have gotten a lot of use out of it since I got it, big time saver too. It was well worth the wait.
        Splurge a little bit on yourself Rolf, you will be glad you did.

Comment

Rolf, did you happen to try the Sand Rite while you were at Judy's class?
          I did when I took the advanced intermediate on Oct 2010. That is when I really got hooked on it.

Comment

Yes I did use it at Judy's, loved it and it saved a lot of time and gave you great control.
            I just did splurge on my dust collector and ducting.
            Rolf

Comment

Well wait for a bit then, but don't settle for anything other than the Sand Rite.
              Good thing you got your dust collection set up 1st. This thing will make some dust in a hurry.
              I just had a guy make a dust chute for me. With that large drum it needed something custom made.
              I will get some pics posted some time this week of it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
                It is so cute (Christmas deer)
                by alexscrollsaw
                "It is so cute" - it is the first what I hear when I show this project. I haven’t done 3D patterns for a long time (about a year), it’s quite difficult and takes a long time. But I don’t regret the time I spent on this new pattern - Christmas deer, I think it turned out great. It is...
                Today, 02:03 PM
              • markdavd
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by markdavd
                I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                Today, 09:45 AM
              • NC Scroller
                by NC Scroller
                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                Today, 07:42 AM
              • will8989
                by will8989
                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                Today, 12:20 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                by Linda In Phoenix
                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
              Working...
              X