Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Shaft??

Hello Everyone
    I'm still looking at flex shaft's for my guinevere motor. I found one on Amazon.com 1/4" Heavy Duty Flex Shaft with Keyless Chuck: Amazon.com: Home Improvement It looks like Guinevere except the Guinevere has a geared chuck. I thought I had the link for the guinevere posted I forgot so here it is. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/kx11310/. Even thought they look alike I think I'll go will the guinevere. I have a cordless and corded drill with a keyless chuck and when I chuck up one of the guinevere sanders the chuck and sander are about the same size. I think this could cause some problems when sanding. I'm not sure but I think the chuck on the guinevere is about the same size as the one on the motor that are smaller then the guinevere sanders. Anyone have any thought on this.
    Last edited by Band Saw Box; 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM.
    sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
    To all who serve or have served, Thank you
    Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

That first one is interesting for using on a drill press. Do they sell rounded sanding attachments? All I see are the cylindrical/drum type. For sanding the inside of a bowl, a curved shape would be ideal.
    I have the Dremel 4000 and the flex shaft, but all I've seen are drum sanders for them too.

For bowls, I was thinking of screwing a temporary botton to the bowl, then attaching the bowl/bottom to something (drill press?) to spin the bowl for sanding (by hand). A bolt and nut thoguh the center of the base woudl give the drill press something to hold.
    When the real base is later glued on, the holes in the bottom of the sides of the bowl would be hidden by the base.

Comment

I wold be careful about trying to hook up something to screw to the bottom of the bowl and mount on the drill press. I know some people mount the bowls made on a scroll saw to a lathe with the jaws, and sand this way....but a drill press unless it is a very slow speed might be to fast to handle. Just as I saw that, I should tell you I use a table top drill press, on the lowest setting of the belts and hook the Flex Shaft to it....works like a dream.

As for a round attachment, you can find it at King Arthurs Guinevere website...and yes they work great for the bottoms of the bowls.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

I don't think that the first one would be just for a drill press since it rated to 10,000 RPM's. Here the the round sander the is made for the Guinevere sanding system it's a great little sander. INFLATABLE ROUND SANDER 1-5/8"X1-9/16" | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop As for mounting a bowl to a drill press I don't know how will that would work. You see most of the bowl the folks here are making have thin wall 3/8" so you would have to use small screws which may not hold when a piece is spinning at 2500 RPM's. it could prove unsafe. For the outside sanding of my bowl I use my belt/disk sander with the table set to the angle the bowl rings were cut at it work's really well to get it smoothed out.

Comment

That inflatable sander seems to be the perfect solution (well, spinning the bowl would be better but harder to do). Would it work on a standard drill or drill press?
          I wish Dremel had something similar - might be hard to fit a drill into these somewhat small bowls, so I'd need the flex shaft (for my drill).
          I don't even have a drill press. The $110 Skil on Amazon has surprising good reviews (I'd get it locally at Lowe's for $120 though).

Comment

The Ball sander does work great on a drill press if you get the sanding ball you'll also need to get this GUINEVERE HAND PUMP | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop. They have this. GUINEVERE INFLATABLE DRUM SANDER | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop which also work great for bowls and other sanding projects. I used one to sand the edge of tops I made. Then they carry this. GUINEVERE BASIC SANDING KIT | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop. Which is the kit i started with. The company that these lins are from is a wonderful company with great customer service. You can order the Guinevere from other companys but Klingspor has the lower prices and low cost shipping.
            Last edited by Band Saw Box; 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Update

I bought the Guinevere Flex shaft this afternoon. I have to update what I said about Klingspor having the price. I came across this bluewhalearts.com | Gourd and Egg Art, Tools and Supplies they had this Guinevere Flexible Shaft. I saved about $6.00. Thay have all kinds of neat things. I'm not sure when it will get to me but I'll post an update.

Comment

Hello my fellow scrollers
                I ordered the Guinevere Flex shaft from Blue Whale Arts on Sunday and it arrived today she ordered it form King Arther Tools. The price I paid was less the what King Arthur Tools is selling it for it must have been on sale.
                The Flex Shaft is great. very well made the chuck in the shaft is the same size as the ones on the Guinevere motor. It is really easy to use. If your thinking about a flex shaft I would get the Guinevere.

Comment

So when will we be seeing your new projects?
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                    The bags seem easier on the surface.
                    But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                    Today, 03:24 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                    Today, 10:32 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                    Today, 09:46 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by NC Scroller
                    I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                    Today, 07:42 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    by NC Scroller
                    I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                    Today, 07:39 AM
                  Working...
                  X