Word of caution:::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of caution:::

Just thought I would pass this info on to anyone who plans to work on a DeWalt 788 saw. Nothing technical, but, I did some inspection work on my saw yesterday & WOW, be careful when taking the sides off. They hold the entire saw together. Well, the lot of them anyway. I did learn something, by working at it & studying all the working parts. I was careful enough not to drop anything & found that it was easier to look at the inner parts by laying it on it's side. My workbench is big enough that I could lay it there for the inspection. I did clean some dust from the inside(not much) & reassembled it without any problems. If you have worked on your 788, then you already know what it's like. They build that thing so you will not want to tear it down again, Ha Thanks for listening.
    PERK

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Perk, you're right, it's a "self-supported coachwork". I found out myself when I was trying to find what caused a rather nasty rattling sound from my saw. It came down to a bearing in need of lubrication. That took the sound away, and in addition I somehow managed to put the saw back together well enough to get the blade almost in the middle of the hole in the table (My saw is a type 2). To my surprise it was cutting less aggressive afterwards too, and a careful study showed that the blade now moves a tiny bit back and forth, but equally all over. Earlier the movement was larger at the ends than in the middle of the blade. There must be enough play between the different parts of the saw to cause a need for adjustments to make the mechanism work properly.
      Last edited by treslakter; 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM.
      Ivar ("treslakter" - read as "woodbutcher")

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Comment

But Goofy... Was this strictly exploratory surgery, or were you going in there for a specific illness?
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hi, Lucky, I was just looking & was checking to make sure everything was tightened. I did have a blade vibration ever once in a while, but, was only with the small FD #0/2 spiral blade. Thought maybe something was loose. I didn't have the vibration with a larger blade though. Just learning about the saw mostly. Mine is the type II also. Had it about 4 yrs. Thanks for all the comments.
          PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X