New Dewalt DW788 for $369

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dewalt DW788 for $369

If anybody is interested, you can now purchase a new Dewalt saw at Amazon.com for just $369 with free shipping. Their regular price is $419 but they have $50 off right now. I'm tempted but I'm worried that I'll end up with a type 2 with problems. I've read about too many headaches with table squareness and blade holders and alignment. Am I right to be leary?
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

On another thread, someone told about having problems with a new one and taking it to the dealer for an under-warranty tune-up and it came back in perfect shape. Seeing as you have a saw already, you could do this without much inconvenience.

There was another story about someone who got one with a non-flat table, and Dewalt sent another table without requiring the original to be returned. The second table wasn't flat either, but at least you could take the spare to a machine shop for milling. I'll bet the machining would only be about $30.

I'd go for it, myself.

Pete

Comment

Mike,
      Personally I wish that I would have waited another 6 months, by then everyone should have cleared their inventory of the problem saws. Since you already have the dremel to tide you over the winter, I would check the Forums again in about March & April & see what they are saying about the DW-788 then.

Comment

Mike, why not just get a Delta P-20 and be done with it?
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Mick, it was tempting until I read on how you have to change the speed. That would annoy me and I don't like being annoyed. I like to change the speed as the blade gets duller and having to stop the saw everytime would be a pain. I'll just wait until I have enough sales to justify a Hegner, Excalibur or Hawk.
          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Mike, I have a P-20 and I thought that would bother me to, but it doesn't at all.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I agree with Bob and Mick. Get a P-20 and have done with it. It will be the last saw you will ever need and it top feeds 10 times easier than a Dewalt and it is a joy to use. . It is built like a tank with quality components. After all the problems DeWalt is having I can't imagine anyone taking a chance unless you have a reputable DeWalt service center very close by.
              The belt changing is not an issue for me or any other P-20 owners. It is actually prteferred because there is no expensive electronic variable speed changer to go bad . And yes there have been many of the electronic VS circuitry go bad just after warranty and they cost big bucks.
              I can't imagine anyone requiring any more that 6 speeds. I use three quarter speed year in . . year out... except just occasionaly if I am cutting something in 1/8" wood and I will take the few seconds required to change it to a slower speed. It can actually be cross pullyed to give over 40 speeds but just one or two are all that is required for most scrollers. I know some that run DeWalt saws at full wide open speed for everything and never adjust it lower. So they bough a VS that is not being used but it is surely incorporated into the price of the saw.
              Whichever way you go I hope you have the best of luck .
              W.Y.
              http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
                Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                by Sandy Oaks
                This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
                Today, 10:43 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Rolf
                Quartz. What are you not certain of?
                I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
                Today, 09:08 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                by Rolf
                Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?...
                Today, 08:55 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                by Rolf
                I am very curious as to how the the slots were cut? The lathe work part of it is simple....
                Today, 08:51 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Now that's one to make us smile! I've been meaning to try that sometime but procrastinating simply because I didn't stop to consider starting on an easier design to actually learn from. Great reminder. I love your jack-o-lantern!
                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              Working...
              X