New Dewalt DW788 for $369

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dewalt DW788 for $369

If anybody is interested, you can now purchase a new Dewalt saw at Amazon.com for just $369 with free shipping. Their regular price is $419 but they have $50 off right now. I'm tempted but I'm worried that I'll end up with a type 2 with problems. I've read about too many headaches with table squareness and blade holders and alignment. Am I right to be leary?
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

On another thread, someone told about having problems with a new one and taking it to the dealer for an under-warranty tune-up and it came back in perfect shape. Seeing as you have a saw already, you could do this without much inconvenience.

There was another story about someone who got one with a non-flat table, and Dewalt sent another table without requiring the original to be returned. The second table wasn't flat either, but at least you could take the spare to a machine shop for milling. I'll bet the machining would only be about $30.

I'd go for it, myself.

Pete

Comment

Mike,
      Personally I wish that I would have waited another 6 months, by then everyone should have cleared their inventory of the problem saws. Since you already have the dremel to tide you over the winter, I would check the Forums again in about March & April & see what they are saying about the DW-788 then.

Comment

Mike, why not just get a Delta P-20 and be done with it?
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Mick, it was tempting until I read on how you have to change the speed. That would annoy me and I don't like being annoyed. I like to change the speed as the blade gets duller and having to stop the saw everytime would be a pain. I'll just wait until I have enough sales to justify a Hegner, Excalibur or Hawk.
          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Mike, I have a P-20 and I thought that would bother me to, but it doesn't at all.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I agree with Bob and Mick. Get a P-20 and have done with it. It will be the last saw you will ever need and it top feeds 10 times easier than a Dewalt and it is a joy to use. . It is built like a tank with quality components. After all the problems DeWalt is having I can't imagine anyone taking a chance unless you have a reputable DeWalt service center very close by.
              The belt changing is not an issue for me or any other P-20 owners. It is actually prteferred because there is no expensive electronic variable speed changer to go bad . And yes there have been many of the electronic VS circuitry go bad just after warranty and they cost big bucks.
              I can't imagine anyone requiring any more that 6 speeds. I use three quarter speed year in . . year out... except just occasionaly if I am cutting something in 1/8" wood and I will take the few seconds required to change it to a slower speed. It can actually be cross pullyed to give over 40 speeds but just one or two are all that is required for most scrollers. I know some that run DeWalt saws at full wide open speed for everything and never adjust it lower. So they bough a VS that is not being used but it is surely incorporated into the price of the saw.
              Whichever way you go I hope you have the best of luck .
              W.Y.
              http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X