Jet spindle sander question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet spindle sander question

I know this is a dumb question...but please understand my mind is still not all there with all the meds. I was on from the Hospital...that being said, I have a question regarding my Jet Spindle sander. If you have this machine you know at times it is hard to loosen the spindle from the machine. I have not used this machine for about a month and I am tying to change to a larger spindle and can not for the life of me remember which way to loosen the spindle. Does the spindle loosen clockwise? Sorry for such a dumb question, but each way I try it is very tight and I do not want to break anything...
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

It's opposite of the way you want to do it. Can't remember offhand which is which, but I know everything is backwards on it - right up to the nuts.
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

Comment

It will almost assuredly be the opposite way the spindle turns when using the sander to sand.

Bob

Comment

Thanks folks...that is what I was thinking but thought I should check...
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Larry, to tighten the spindle, screw it counter-clockwise, or to the left. It makes no sense, and is the reverse of other spindle sanders I've used. Someone at Jet has a bad sense of humor!
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Reminds me of a sign I saw on the door of a country store. It said "Push, if it don't open, Pull, then if it still don't open, we are CLOSED".
            Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckD View Post
              Reminds me of a sign I saw on the door of a country store. It said "Push, if it don't open, Pull, then if it still don't open, we are CLOSED".
              I've always thought it would be amusing to see an Exit Sign on the way in to a shop, especially a New Age or Philosophy store. After all you are exiting the outside, right?
              Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                Larry, to tighten the spindle, screw it counter-clockwise, or to the left. It makes no sense, and is the reverse of other spindle sanders I've used. Someone at Jet has a bad sense of humor!
                Carole

If they did not use a reverse thread the spindle would unscrew while you are sanding. Jet does not have a bad sense of humor it makes perfect sense. I don't know what other spindle sanders you have used but in order to use a standard thread the motor would have to spin backwards and the sandpaper tubes would also have to wrap in the opposite direction otherwise the would probably unwrap as they wear.
                Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I think the maker must have been left handed!
                  Janette
                  www.square-designs.com

Comment

Grizzly's big floor model spindle sander has spindles that tighten clockwise. Don't ask.
                    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X