Ultimate Resaw Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Resaw Blade

I have a fellow woodworking friend who sold me on a new blade. After seeing everything he re-sawed for a very large project I decided on purchasing one.
    It is the Lenox Tri-Master carbide tipped. I got the 3/4 inch that has 3 tpi.
    I put it on the saw yesterday and got the band saw all set up for the new blade.
    Then for the test cut. I had a small scrap piece of shedua that was about 1in thick. I drew a line down the center of it. Then with no guide I just wanted to free hand it and see what happened. Well it cut perfectly down the center of that line like it was locked in on it. The cut it very smooth too. I gave it 2-3 passes through the Performax drum sander and had 2 perfectly matched pieces. I was highly impressed with the blade.
    About the only thing I do with the band saw is re-saw. So I figured I could justify the higher price tag that goes with this blade.
    I got it from Highland Woodworking. The best re-saw blade I have ever used.

Did you use a 14" band saw for your cutting?
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

Sorry, I did forget to mention the saw. It is a Rikon 14in.

Comment

Let us know how much mileage you get out of the blade. That will be a good indicator as to how good it is.

Comment

Here is, I think, a link Lenox Tri-Master Bandsaw Blade | Versatile Carbide Tipped Blade - Spectrum Supply

Price seems to be about 3X other resaw blades, but may be worth it.
          Got Moose?

Comment

The mileage has been proven by the guy who told me about them. The amount of rosewood he had to re-saw along with a bunch of cocobolo speaks volumes for the blade. I would bet close to 100 board feet between the 2 types so far. When I brought a piece of claro walnut over to him to re-saw, because the blade I had was struggling with it. He sliced right through it with no problems whatsoever and very smooth cut still. Just a few passes through the Performax drum sander and a perfect book match set.

Comment

The little bit of research I've done has shown rave reviews on the Lenox blade. I still can't get over the price though. Very hard to drop that much money on 1 blade. I am new to the bandsaw world so I don't know what to expect for mileage on these blades. I purchased a timberwolf 3/4" resaw along with some other smaller ones. As good as the Lenox is supposed to be, is it really worth that expense I'm wondering.

Comment

The only thing I do with my band saw is re-saw. I don't due a ton of it but I need precision when I do. I figure I am set for at least 10 years as far as a blade goes. The Lenox replaced a timberwolf which used to be my favorite blade. For me it is worth it as it makes my life easier and the quality of the cut is far superior. But every one's priorities are different.

Comment

I have the Laguna Resaw King from Woodcraft. Which I think is very similar to the Lenox blade.

My big bandsaw is used almost exclusively for resawing. I have a little 9" Harbor Freight one for general bandsaw work. The big one is a Powermatic 14" model with the riser block. I had been using the Woodslicer 1/2" resaw blade. Both blades do a good job of resawing. The Woodslicer is slightly smoother if I go real slow. The Resaw King is much faster though. It slices through an eight inch tall board like flat cutting a 3/4" board.

With that said, I most likely would have been just fine with the $30.00 Woodslicer blades. I am just a hobbiest woodworker doing craft type stuff.

Bob

Comment

I have a problem and I will admit it. I have a bit of the obsessive compulsive nature when it comes to woodworking. It is my addiction, passion, escape, and joy all rolled into 1.

Comment

The resaw blade we use is the Timberwolf from PS Wood Machines [http://www.pswood.com]. We just picked up a 1/2" 3TPI at the Somerset NJ woodworking show since my husband just changed the blade a few weeks back. Barbara Peters owns PS Wood and is excellent to work with. I can tell you that he resaws a bunch for me as well as others in our club and rarely has issues using this blade.
                      Barbara
                      Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Comment

I would love to see an unbiased review/comparison between the timberwolf, woodslicer and lenox blades since they seem to be the top 3. I'm curious as to how much difference there really is between these blades.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayward View Post
                          I have the Laguna Resaw King from Woodcraft. Which I think is very similar to the Lenox blade.

My big bandsaw is used almost exclusively for resawing. I have a little 9" Harbor Freight one for general bandsaw work. The big one is a Powermatic 14" model with the riser block. I had been using the Woodslicer 1/2" resaw blade. Both blades do a good job of resawing. The Woodslicer is slightly smoother if I go real slow. The Resaw King is much faster though. It slices through an eight inch tall board like flat cutting a 3/4" board.

With that said, I most likely would have been just fine with the $30.00 Woodslicer blades. I am just a hobbiest woodworker doing craft type stuff.

Bob
                          I also use the Woodslicer from Highlandwoodworking on a 14" Powermatic. It resaws very straight and excavates very little wood due to its thin kerf. Best blade I have experience resawing with but they do not stay sharp very long. I understand the Woodslicer is a blade from the meat cutting industry. The kerfmaster is another clone from the meat cutting industry but a bit cheaper ($19.00 vers $29.00 for 105 inch) http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfmaster-2.aspx

I noticed all my blades have some surface rust except the Woodslicer. It does not rust. Perhaps it has some stainless properties for cutting beef?

The sample 4-pack includes:
                          (1) 1/2" | .022 | 3/4 VARI-Tip
                          (1) 5/8" | .016 | 3/4 VARI-Tip
                          (1) 5/8" | .022 | 3/4 VARI-Tip
                          (1) 3/4" | .022 | 3/4 VARI-Tip

You may notice the kerf and 3/4 veri-tip are the same as the Woodslicer.
                          I have not tried the Kerfmaster as yet so I cannot report their quality.

Comment

I had been using Timberwolf 1/2" 3 TPI blades for resawing for a while now. They're OK, but can't say that I'm overly impressed with how long they stay sharp. The last resaw blades I bought were from a local saw sharpening & tool shop. They make the blades in-house and use Lennox bands. They're 1/2 the price I was paying for the Timberwolf and last at least as long, if not perhaps a little longer. Plus, if I'm in the neighborhood, I can stop in to pick them up and save shipping. The blades cost me about $10 ea. For all the more resawing I do, these are a good deal for me. I'd love to have a carbide tipped resaw blade, but can't justify the $$.
                            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Those look like inexpensive blades. Which one do you use? How long do they last.? Thanks for any info.
                              John

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X