Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on a Used Hawk G4

I found a local Hawk G4 26" for sale.
    The add states barely used Hawk G4 26" scroll saw with DC-TENV motor for $750.00

Is $750 toooo much money?
    What would be a reasonable price for a used G4?

What should I ask about and look out for on this particular saw?

Thank you in advance
    Curt
    Last edited by Curtis Myers; 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

The saw went for $1200.00 new, so $750.00 is reasonable. I have the G4 and really like it. It is a very smooth saw with plenty of power. You should go and check it out in person. You will know right away if it was taken care of or not. If it is nice and smooth with minimal vibration then it checks out OK. The variable speed should operate smooth as well. You can always make an offer too. Depending on your area and how many people are interested in the saw will depend on what you can get it for.

Comment

Woodsman-
      Thank you for the quick reply.
      On the RBI web site http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/ they list two scroll saws 20 and 26"
      220 ULTRA is available for $1200 plus s/h.
      226 ULTRA is available for $1400 plus s/h.

I'm assuming the G4 is an earlier model?
      Does anyone know what years the G4 were made?

All the Best
      Curt

Comment

Here is a link to an article on the G4. It is from 2009, so it is probably close to when the saw was introduced. I have seen 12 year old RBI saws going for $500.00 range.
        Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Hawk G4 Scroll Saw

Comment

The G4 is very different from the older Hawks. The lower clamp is in front of the angle adjust ment making it very easy to take out and change blades or top feed.
          I am not sure about the Ultra 226 configuration. Anyone have one that would be kind enough to take a picture of the underside?
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I went by and checked out the G4 tonight.
            It had a vibration which gave me pause.
            I placed a nickel on the base and turned up the speed. The first number on the dial was 25 and the nickel fell before getting to 25 percent.

I got home and ordered a ex-21

Comment

Good choice, Curtis.
              Now you also got the warrenty with the new saw.
              FD Mike
              SD Mike

Comment

Curtis,
                It is good that you checked it out, what kind of floor was it on? Our club meets at an old barn with wooden floors. All of our saws vibrate horribly on that floor. From Hegner to cheap Craftsman.
                Like Mike said it is good to start fresh with a new warranted saw.
                Where is this Hawk located? If it is near me maybe I will check it out.
                Last edited by Rolf; 02-24-2012, 07:03 AM.
                Rolf

Comment

Rolf,
                  The G4 is located in Williamsburg Virginia
                  Hawk G4 26"Scroll Saw

The saw was in a garage with a cement floor. The stand had small wheels on all four corners. The young man indicated the saw was used very little (perhaps 10 time). It looked like new. The blade was very straight up and down from the front but from the side there was a fore and aft motion in there. Perhaps this is where the vibration is coming from and can be adjusted out some.
                  A young man is selling the saw for his father in-law who needs the income for cancer related bills.
                  Hope this helps

All the Best
                  Curt
                  Last edited by Curtis Myers; 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks but too far away.
                    There is an adjustment for the front to back stroke but it would not affect vibration.
                    The wheels are not good. The saw should sit firmly on the floor.
                    Rolf

Comment

The vibration is from being on those wheels. I would bet there is nothing wrong with the saw.
                      You should look into it again, take the wheels off. Put the feet on that came with the saw. They have rubber bottoms that help absorb the vibration. I have those and the saw sitting on a rubber mat. It is an anti fatigue mat and the vibration is down to a minimum. Don't walk away yet, that looks like it is worth the $750.00 they are asking.

Comment

Just saw a "RBI Hawk Model 220 Scroll Saw" for sale for $300. Really pretty red color and looks like new, but I don't know anything about them.

Comment

I've got a ultra 226 I've had the same one for 18 years . Woodsman is right, it needs to be sitting on the rubber feet that came with it not on the rollers. There was a Dewalt 788 that our sponsor for our club bought and we couldn't control the vibration until we put the rubber feet on it. I sold my 18 year old for 450. and there wasn't any thing wrong with it. If something broke I fixed it. I talked another guy into buying the same kind of saw 10 years ago. he said he only used it on three boards and put it up. It was 1350. new and I got it for 450. I'm ready to go again. Don

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X