Performax 16" scrollsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performax 16" scrollsaw

I was given one of these and I haven't had much luck finding out too much information about it. It's brand new, never out of the box. It appears that it only takes pin end blades. I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar at all with this saw? I'm considering ordering blade clamp adapters for it from Pozsgai's Designs, but I'd like a little input from anyone who may know something about the saw to help me decide if it's worth it.

The primary use for this saw will be as a traveling demo/student saw. It doesn't have to be great, but it does need to be functional. I wouldn't want to turn a beginner/student loose on it if it's more frustration than it's worth.

Any thoughts on this saw?

Thanks!
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

I would have to think, being made by Performax, it is a well built saw.

Comment

Is this it Bill? 16" Scroll Saw at Menards
      There is a link to the manual on that page it says it takes pin and pinless blades so the adapters might be in the box.

I know Performax was tied in with Jet / Powermatic but I don't know if that is still the case.
      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I admit that I was kind of excited when I saw the name on the box. In the little information I was able to research though, it appears that Performax put their name on a budget line of tools that were sold through select retailers. These tools don't appear to be available any longer. They don't necessarily share the same DNA as the Performax sanders that have enjoyed a pretty solid reputation. But the available info is pretty limited. It's fine if the scroll saw isn't anything special. I just want to feel better that investing any $$ in it, to make it functional, won't be a total waste of time.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Tim,

Yea, it's pretty close to that. The one I have may be a couple years old. It has a light attachment, but it isn't LED. The manual I have states that it accepts pin end blades only, but upon closer inspection, it appears that it could take a plain end blade. However, pinless capabilities seem to be an afterthought, at best. I tried to get a plain end blade installed and each time I added tension, it popped out. I don't think the slot in the clamp, where the blade is inserted, is machined with enough precision to permit good, flat clamping surfaces, in contact with the blade. You might get it to stay, but it will require some patience. I'm still thinking that the Pozsgai adapters would be an upgrade, but I wonder about the rest of the saw.

Comment

Apparently this is a pretty obscure saw.

I noticed that the Skil 3335-01 at Lowes appears to be a clone of the Performax. Anyone have any experience with this saw?

My big question is whether or not to invest the time, money & effort into upgrading the blade clamps. I suppose I should put a blade in it and fire it up to see how it runs. If it doesn't vibrate too badly, then it's probably worth taking a chance on.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
              Reply to Old,,,,but new here
              by Rolf
              Welcome! As the others have said, lots of support and knowledge here ready to be shared.
              Is the 6 x10 your workspace or your entire apartment. ?
              Today, 09:34 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Log slice ornaments
              by Rolf
              Most of the cut outs were done with the scroll saw.
              Karl I have a couple of power carvers. The classic Dremel with a flex shaft I then bought a Ram Power carver, they both use 1/8 shank bits. I have a bunch of carbide cutters from when our Printed circuit board facility at work was dismantled....
              Today, 09:29 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
              by NC Scroller
              To all.... My ornaments for the 2020 exchange were all mailed yesterday, Monday November 23rd.
              Today, 08:23 AM
            • Christophe
              Reply to Schwibbogen, Light Arch or whatever it is called !
              by Christophe
              Thanks for the comments . Intend to make a bigger one, but fear not to be ready for Christmas ! Anyway, I'll be ready fir Christmas 2021 !
              Today, 07:19 AM
            • hotshot
              Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
              by hotshot
              I totally missed this, but what a great tool and I'm very excited for you. I was thinking it would great for puzzle boxes where the scroll saw boxes are limited to about 2 inches, this would take them on up to another level.

The blade cost would be a concern if they dulled quickly, so...
              Today, 07:07 AM
            Working...
            X