Carving Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving Tool

On many of the band saw boxes I make, I need to do some carving. I have been using chisels and my pocket knife, but I thought I would order a couple or maybe only one carving tool. Can anyone give me pointers on what I should be looking for...
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

I'd suggest you check out Fox Chapel's Wood Carving forum at

Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board.

There are several topics there about selecting tools for exactly what you are seeking to do, and the folks there are just as friendly and helpful as our scroll saw folks. Give it a try.
    Don't worry about old age--It doesn't last that long

Comment

I do some carving on my intarsia and inlay projects. I find I use about three, of the 20+ gouges I have, the most. You do not need a whole set of gouges. I now have a "Mastercarver" set with a mini jackhammer that makes the carving easier. It comes with just a few gouges. I use the "V" tool the most.
      Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
      "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
        What is it?
        by will8989
        Bruce was bored and made this. What is it?...
        Today, 10:57 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to First you need to make a mess
        by will8989
        It was a challenge that’s for sure. I didn’t start anything until I was all finished. It’s nice to have a clean area to work in! My biggest challenge was all those pieces of scrap wood that I just might need “someday.” They burned well in my son’s woodstove. And I did get through all the patterns....
        Today, 10:54 PM
      • tgiro01
        Reply to First you need to make a mess
        by tgiro01
        Wow - Betty, what do you charge. I have things to do and I'm in the process of cleaning my shop, just to have room to do it. My problem is that I get the work bench cleared and then start working on projects again. I really need to do the workbench last.
        Today, 10:05 PM
      • tgiro01
        Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
        by tgiro01
        I ordered and received the ORTUR Laser Master 2 from Amazon, the but haven't had a chance to even get it out of the box. Too much going
        on right now. I got the 20 watt version, which is supposed to be good for cutting, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that. There will be a learning curve...
        Today, 09:57 PM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to Sue Mey's site
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Rick---if you are looking for a fretwork piece perhaps you could take 2 patterns and merge them into 1....
        Today, 09:16 PM
      Working...
      X