Now that I have my scroll saw...next major tool...bandsaw or jointer/planer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that I have my scroll saw...next major tool...bandsaw or jointer/planer

Any recommendation on which band saw is better the Jet 14" Deluxe (JWBS-14DXPRO) or the Rikon 14" Deluxe bandsaw?

Also what about the Jet 10" Jointer / Planer Combo with Stand, Model JJP-10BTOS and the Rikon Planer/Jointer, Model 25-010.

All of the above seem to be between 900 and 1000 (except the Jet 10" jointer which is ~$500).

If you were going to buy one now and maybe the other in 6-12 months what would you recommend first? Of course I also need a good dust collection idea... Or would you recommend some other tool to add to my "collection"

My currently list of power tools:
    Drill press (it is an older one, don't recall the name, but it it works well so far)
    Milwaukee Router (not sure the model, not variable speed)
    Excalibur 21" scroll saw (love this thing)
    Skil 3400 table saw (crappy).
    Drills (a few)
    Porter Cable circular saw
    A broken miter saw I want to replace some day.

Right now the scroll saw has been my main tool, making toys for my daughter and gifts for the wife. But I have plans for a desk, bookshelf, some additional cabinets/desk/shelves in the kitchen. I'm a DIYer and enjoy trying to do new things. At some point will also be making a bunk bed. We have a lot of trees we cut down periodically so I figured the band saw might be nice if we have some hardwoods to try to use the wood we cut down for woodworking.

Thanks,
    doobie

For a planer I really like my DW735. It is a real work horse at a reasonable price. I have the Grizzly G05555 band saw. I have heard a lot of good things about the Rikon and not much either way on the Jet. Most 14" saws tend to be under powered so get the biggest motor and don't forget the raiser kit and a set of carter bearings.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

This is kind of a tough one, in my opnion. For milling roughsawn lumber, a bandsaw and planer kind of go hand in hand. A bandsaw gives you resaw capability and the planer allows you take the rough or resawn boards down to your desired thickness. A really, really good resaw bandsaw & blade can be capable of very smooth and accurate cuts, thus the need for a planer may be minimized. I have no idea if either of the two you mentioned would fit that description.

As for the jointer/planer combo machine, in my opinion, you can get away without having the jointer, at least for most scrollsawing demands. Furniture makers would argue that point, but I only have a planer and along with a decent table saw, I get along fine without a jointer. There are ways of using other tools to serve the same function as the jointer, so you may be able to do without it. A benchtop planer will likely run you less than the jointer/planer combos you referenced. That said, if you intend to plane a lot of roughsawn lumber, it gets to be a lot of work with a benchtop planer, but it will get you by.

OK, I realize that I haven't answered any of your questions directly, but bear with me, I do have a point to make. Consider this option; perhaps a slightly less expensive bandsaw, such as one of the Grizzly offerings. Their 14" bandsaws can do an adequate job resawing (with a good blade), plus fulfill all the other bandsaw requirements you may have. Then look at a portable, benchtop planer. A combination of these two tools will allow you to mill your roughsaw lumber (albeit slowly and with more effort than larger equipment) and depending on the models, you may be able to get both for something just north of $1000.

I'm not proposing that this is the ideal solution. However, for the scrolling hobbiest, I think it gives you enough capability to do what you want to do. Food for thought.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Well said Bill. We tend to go to extremes (bigger the better) but in the end that little 16 oz hammer from Wal-mart will drive a brad nail just a well if not better then the best 22 oz framing hammer.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Weellll, I actually have a little 5 oz. tack hammer I use for driving brads. That is when I'm not using my pneumatic brad nailer, not to be confused with my 22 ga pin nailer or my 15 ga finish nailer.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Thanks. Grizzly adds yet another set of options....and makes for more confusion. Are there any websites anyone knows of that reviews band saws from different manufacturers...as well as different models? I mean Grizzly has like 6 different 14" models of various price ranges....

Comment

I imagine one of the woodworking magazines has done 14" bandsaw reviews recently. Maybe check their websites to see if they have anything on-line.

I know that the Grizzly G0555 generally gets positive remarks on the other woodworking forums I participate in. That is what I have and while it isn't what I would call the ideal resawing machine, most 14" BS aren't. I can't compare it to any others, because I've never used any others, besides the commercial ones at work.

Comment

I have a GO555 band saw (with riser),and a Dewalt 735 planer also. This combo works well for resawing for me. IF you intend to make shelves etc. you should get a good table saw. I have a Ridgid 3650 ($500 at Home Depot) that serves me well.
                Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I use a Dewalt planer - Bang for buck it's that one or the Rigid planer.

I looked at the Jet, Rikon, Delta, and Powrmatic 14-inch bandsaws and went up to Muncy, PA and bought a G0555P with the 6-inch riser. Half the price as the other ones with all the features the others brag about. Plus it gets great reviews, for a 14-inch saw, in all the other woodworking forums. I have had it for a month. I just got some 1/2-inch Woodslicer blades for it and it sliced through some 10-inch wormy maple and some 8 inch yellow heart with ease.

The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Check out Highland Woodworking @ highlandwoodworking.com Ricon 14" bandsaw 13" resaw capacity ball bearing blade guides 1 1/2 horse motor all anyone should need in a 14" bandsaw. on sale $799.00 Plus highland is the home of the Wood slicer bandsaw blade.

If i needed a bandsaw, this would be the one.

Thanks for Listening

Tim

Comment

My vote would be for a lathe, but I didn't see one on your list.

I'd go with a planer first. My DeWalt 735 is perfect for my needs. If you buy the bandsaw first, you'll have no way to get the boards smooth except with lots of sanding....and that isn't any fun.

Good luck!
                      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I'll stir the pot a little more. I have a mid-grade table saw, jointer, planer, two bandsaws and the scroll saw. If you are going to buy "rough" wood at a larger lumber mill then you really need the jointer and planer. If you plan to buy 2" thick (8/4) wood at 10"+ width then you need a 2 hp band saw with a riser.

On the other hand if you are not interested in building major furniture or remodeling you kitchen from scratch the other alternative is to buy from a major lumber mill to save board foot price and have them joint, plane and maybe even sand the wood to thickness you want. I cut most of my scroll puzzles from Basswood (linden) and buy 80 - 100 board foot at a time due to the travel distance to the mill. It is only an extra $15 dollars to have the (5/4) wood planed to 1" thickness. If I wanted verified flat, then jointing is an additional $20.
                        Steve.
                        EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

I havea General TS, DW788 SS, DW 733 planer ... But in your initial list you mentioned dust collection. That should ALWAYS be the next tool; mine is Jet.

My next tool will be the Grizzly BS.
                          Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

Since I purchased this Jet Drum Sander from Rockler I use band saw to re-saw and sander. Planer sits idle.
                            Jet Plus Drum Sander 1.5HP w/Open Stand - Rockler Woodworking Tools
                            Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

For scroll saw dependent projects these are my most used “support” tools.
                              14 Delta Band saw (with Riser), Dewalt 735 planer, Delta contractors saw with uni-fence and a new Kreg miter gauge and zero clearance insert, 19” Sand flee. If you will be doing lots of Intarsia then a Jet oscillating spindle sander is most useful. I also use my Jet 6” jointer frequently.
                              The list goes on with dust collection which could easily go to the top of the list in hindsight.
                              A lathe is a great addition but that is another set of support tools.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X