Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta or Dremel or Craftsman??

Well.....

I've been looking at scrollsaws and I agree those RBI saws look nice!

But, they are way out of my price range right now. Maybe one day. I have however found three in my price range. I saw a 16 inch I believe, variable speed Dremel at Home Depot for around $180'ish, an SS350 Delta in the Woodcraft catalog for $199, and a 16 inch Craftsman at Sears for around $150 regular price. The Craftsman was on sale with $20 off.

Of these three, what are your opinions of them? Is there another in this price range that you would recommend instead.

Thanks!
    Retired..... Most days!!
    PhD in grandkid spoiling
    Taking it as easy as I can in the Piedmont section of North Carolina

Re: Delta or Dremel or Craftsman??

My personal opinion for what its worth!Save your money, go to www.toolking.com look up the DeWalt 788 and buy the factory reconditioned! It is also free shipping! A cheap saw is such a pain in the --- to change blades on, they don't cut straight, the vibrate like crazy! It just makes you reconsider whether or not you even want to be doing any scrollwork! This saw is so smooth and quiet I can't believe it, the blade change is so quick and easy....just not believable the difference in the 3 saws I have had.....I guess if you feel you can't do the waiting....find some people in your area thru woodcraft or some hardware/woodworking store and see if people will show you their saw and let you try it! Nothing else is quite like hands on!!

Comment

I currently have a Dremel. It was a good saw as a starter but in a year my skills have out grown it. For out side cuts it is fine but you have to clamp the bottom of the blade by feel. No matter how hard I try I have not found an easy way. A friend of mine has the Dewalt. I have my sights on one right now Dewalt. I know it is double the price, but if you are going to get serious spend the bucks. That is unless you want a good deal on my Dremel.

Scott

Comment

Of the three you listed I would have to say the Delta is the best. It is just that you have to get used to that type of blade holder. My brother has that saw and he uses it occationally. He also doesn't do a lot of fret work so he doesn't have to fiddle with the holder a lot. I have tried it and I can't get the hang of it , I guess because I am used to the screw blade holder that most other saws have. I agree with looking at the Dewalt or the big craze today seems to be Delta's P20. It has the same blade holders and is larger. I found out you outgrow a 16' model real fast. Well good luck! JTTHECLOCKMAN
        John T.

Comment

I've been very happy with my Craftsman. It's a good machine, has never given me any problems, and best of all it's in my price range.

At some point in time, I'd really like to upgrade to an RBI Hawk Scroll Saw, but until then, I have no complaints with what I'm using now.

Good luck.

Comment

Of the three you mentioned, Delta out shines the other ttwo by a long shot. Personally, I like the RBI hawk 220. Easy to operate and threading the blade is a jewell.
            But if I had to pick another, Delta Models are better than Dremel or Craftmans. the older Craftmans were better than these newer ones also.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but for future reference here is a site with a good comparison of saws.
              http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...Scrollsaws.pdf

Ric

Comment

Ric,

That is a good guide for technical info but whenever this question comes up and it comes up alot, people want hands on experiences. Everyone wants to hear their saw is the best when it actually comes down to what you can afford. To me any of the lower priced models are for people that want to cut basic patterns and not use the saw a whole lot. Because if you start using a lower end model alot, you will quickly see it gets frustrating and this is what turns people off to this great artform that can be so relaxing. You start getting into the Delta p20 and Dewalt788 which are your mid-range saws you are getting a better quality saw and more relyable saw with easier blade changing ability and these are more geared to the serious scrollers. I know this may rattle a few cages but I will stick by my opinion.
                John T.

Comment

My fiend and I choose Dremel. We both are very happy with the units. Got them for Tool King. Bought them as reconditioned units for $99.00 ea.

Ron

Comment

Tool King at www.toolking.com

Comment

I don't know if you live near Charlotte, NC or not, but they are having their tool show March 18-20 at Merchandise Mart. At the show you can try out quite a few scroll saws - hegner, delta, dremel, hawk, rbi, etc., that way you can see which one you like the best. The sales reps are very knowledgeable and can answer any question you have. You also get lots of freebies at these shows - lights, foot pedals, stand, extra blade holders, etc. Really worth waiting and saving your money for, you get more for the $$$. I had a Sears and almost gave up sawing because of the frustration & aggrivation of it. I now own a 18' Hegner and wouldn't trade it for anything. Blade change super easy, quick threading when doing fret work and when there's no 'operator error' runs very quietly!! GOOD LUCK!!! :
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I first recieved a Craftsman as a gift. It lasted about a year. The blade holder broke. Had to use an allen wrench to change the blade. Then I purchased a Dremel. It was OK, but I found that trying to do inside cuts I got frustrated and would quit. I now own a DeWalt 788. LOVE IT!!! I have cut more on it in a month than I cut on the other 2 saws in 3 years. Best of all is very little to no vibration. I would say buy the best you can afford. If you can get the DeWalt.

Comment

I started with an $87 saw. Tried to use it once and came here for some advice. I wrote to Mike at mikesworkshop.com concerning blades. I found out that many cheap saws only use pinned blades. Of course to do inside work, I couldn't do much with the pinned blades. I bought the original saw at Lowes home improvement. Mike wrote back and referred me to amazon.com and advised me to check out the Dremel as a beginner saw. The saw listed on amazon was the same model offered also at Lowes. I went back to Lowes and traded up. I got it for $159. Brand new. The first saw, I bolted down and reinforced my bench to accomodate the saw and eliminate vibration. I got the Dremel home and didn't even Bolt it down. A world of difference. I am not necessarily a believer in the fact that you "get what you pay for". Sometimes you pay too much for certain items. I am a beginner scroll sawer. I too am learning and I most certainly would not want to invest in a saw with money better invested elsewhere. Principally, I think any of us beginners should invest in anything but an offbrand saw. In this case, I spent the most I felt I could afford for the moment. When I determine a better saw is what I need, I will do what I can to get one. In the meantime, I am gonna use this saw a bit and I will come back often to give my reviews. Of course, not having operated or owned any other saw, I would not be able to compare. Keep in mind, what may be difficult or acceptable for one may not be difficult or acceptable for another. I think a lot of the decision on saws relies a lot on what projects or types of scrolling you will be doing. I am thinking at this point that the more difficult or tedious a project is, the better the saw we may need. I'd love nothing more at this point than to make my life easier by purchasing a "Cadillac", but for now, I will make due with my "Cavalier".
                          Mike P.

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.
                          - Epictetus

Comment

just another opinion

I have to go with the delta on this one. I have an older dremel and a 16" delta vs. The delta was an excellent beginner saw. I have since bought a 26" Hawk which is a top notch scroll saw. I still use my delta alot. It's handy having more than one saw in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by sbarnhardt
                              Well.....

I've been looking at scrollsaws and I agree those RBI saws look nice!

But, they are way out of my price range right now. Maybe one day. I have however found three in my price range. I saw a 16 inch I believe, variable speed Dremel at Home Depot for around $180'ish, an SS350 Delta in the Woodcraft catalog for $199, and a 16 inch Craftsman at Sears for around $150 regular price. The Craftsman was on sale with $20 off.

Of these three, what are your opinions of them? Is there another in this price range that you would recommend instead.

Thanks!
                              We all dream. The saws you mentioned are good choices for a beginner and are within your price range - that is the first step. We all start walking before we run.

Yes, blade changing can be more difficult on some models than others. Make sure saw choice is pinless, as the minimal requirement. So what if you need a tool to change the blade! The fact that the blade change may be time consuming is somethings a good thing for beginners. It gives you a chance to reflect on your cutting, take a break from concentrating on the lines and evalute your project.

The second feature I consider important to beginners is that whatever saw you choose, you get one with variable speed. This allows you to cut at a comfortable speed while increase your skill.

Since you are not investing in a mid to high price saw, you will be able to upgrade your saw as your skills require it. Remember to "test drive" a saw you are considering purchasing.

You need a saw before you can participate in the hobby. Go with what is in your price range first and foremost, make sure the saw blade system is pinless, has variable speeds and test drive before you buy.

No one on here, regardless of their opinion on brand of saw, can choose for you. The important thing is you are comfortable with your choice, can afford it and are active in scrolling! Please make sure you let us know which one your chose!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X