History Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Question

I have seen the early scroll saws (pre 1950) had a cast solid upper arm with a spring (like a valve spring) where the blade attaches. Under the table is a oil filled casting with a crank shaft mechanism to give the vertical blade movement.

The design concept seems bullet proof and having a blade with perfect vertical movement would be normal.

Anybody know why the change over to the designs of today?

Steve.
    Steve.
    EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Too many variables in the blade tension as the spring compressed.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The blades were approximately the size of what we now call saber saw blades; tight turns and extremely fine work were not possible. I well remember using one of these machines in shop class- not much fun. A couple of these saws were allegedly modified to use blades of modern dimension, but these machines supposedly broke the modern thin blades too frequently to be useful.

Comment

Check this on Steve Good's forum;
        History of the scroll saw, plus other information
        FD Mike
        SD Mike

Comment

I remember using a saw like that in shop class in 1953 and we called it a "jig saw". I think the modern, hand held, jig saw had not been developed then, not sure.
          Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Reply to My beauties
            by will8989
            He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap...
            Yesterday, 10:55 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
            by Rolf
            Like Bob said clamp a straight edge to the table and adjust it to compensate for the blade drift. There are some blades that have no or very little drift. Like the Olson PGT series it also seems to me that the Pegas MGT 3 or larger cut very straight....
            Yesterday, 07:54 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to My beauties
            by Rolf
            I now you do beautiful work but I have to say your attention to details on these baskets is impressive. soft smooth edges, no visible glue squeeze out. And of course the cutting boards are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce cut a spline in the end of the board and then dowels. I have not seen that...
            Yesterday, 07:49 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to My beauties
            by NC Scroller
            You are one busy lady. About how long does it take to cut one?
            Yesterday, 05:51 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Hegner Multimax-18 for sale Tucson
            by NC Scroller
            Good luck.
            Yesterday, 05:47 AM
          Working...
          X