band saw pullies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• band saw pullies

Hi,hope 1 of the many experts here can help.I am putting a riser kit on my 14" delta band saw but have to replace the motor,{existing motor only 3/4hp} I am putting a 11/2hp on the saw.my question is do I need to replace the pullies and if so what size do I need. I will be resawing 10-12" oak, birck,and other hardwoods any help will be most welcome.
    Remember keep your blades sharp and your fingers safe

Len

Do both motors have the same RPM rating? If the RPM's are the same then you probably do not need to replace the pulley but if one is faster or slower than the other then it could become an issue with your blade spinning to fast or slow.
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Word of warning. There is such a thing as to fast (to many RPMs). Turning the band saw wheels at to high a speed (RPMs) will cause the tires and blade to come off. I have seen it happen.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

pullies

I have checked my 3/4hp and it is 1725rpm the 11/2 is 3450 rpm so now I know I will have to replace the pullies to drop the rpm any idea what size I need.

Comment

If you have a motor shop in you town,one that rebuilds ,stop in there and give them the motot specs ,they can ,be a wealth of info and save you alot of quess work and possibly grief . hi speed motors are usually not desiged for power,so you definitally will have to gear it down any way ,but might not be good for your purpose ,they are usually very good about these things because they have experience with every application you can thing of.
          You may have to change capisitors ,They can help you,make your saw all it can be.
          My Best!
          Carl
          "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
          Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Len

You are going to have to measure both pulleys on your saw in order to calculate the correct size. You are probably going to need to replace both pulleys and also get a different size belt. The only other suggestion would be to see if you can exchange the new motor for one that spins 1725 RPM's. The calculations are not very difficult but we have to know all the parameters in order to work the equation.

You can look at your drill press to help you visualize how different size pulleys change the speed but you should take your time and get all the info from your saw and do the calculations before operating the saw.
            Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I would try running it with the 3/4 HP motor to see how it goes. Put the higher HP motor on only if you need to. I have a Delta 3 wheel 1/2 HP bandsaw and have resawn maple up to 7" without slowing the motor down. Just have to feed slower.

To get the same blade speed with a 3450 rpm as a 1725 rpm motor you will need to reduce the size of the drive pully (on the motor) to 1/2 of the existing pully size. ie: replace 3" with 1 1/2 " or increase the size of the driven pully (on the saw) X2 ie: 3" increases to 6". Much better to get a higher HP motor with 1725 rpm for this purpose if you find you really need the extra power.

Tom

Comment

thanks all for the feedback,one last question,has anyone here resawn a 10-12" board using a 3/4hp motor mine still works great,but with riser kit I just did not want to burn it out because of under power, I do use olson BS blades{ great blades }.

Comment

I have a jet 14 inch saw with a 3/4 horse motor and a riser kit. I resaw oak and walnut 10 to 12 inches wide with a 3/4 wide by 105 inch long blade. Works fine. Hardrock

Comment

I use a 14" Delta with riser kit, 105" woodslizer blade and have no problem cutting wide boards down. When the blade starts to get dull is the only time it will bog down...so keep sharp blades at hand.
                    Hawaiilad
                    Larry

Comment

I have the riser on my Delta and like Larry said, no problem as long as the blade is sharp. My biggest problem is that unless you use a very wide blade, 3/4" is the max I can use, it tends to flex and give you a bowed cut. Tension it as high as you can without breaking the blade or slowing down the motor when running with no wood, and remember to release the high tension if you are not using the saw for a while.

george
                      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I don't know how Delta's customer service is but why don't you call them so you get the definite right answer rather than getting a dozen different opinions on here. I have a Rikon and so far their customer service has been fantastic and would never hesitate to call them with any question.

Comment

Interesting video here on resawing.

The physics of bandsaw resawing - YouTube

Tom

Comment

I have the same Delta, 3/4 hp with the riser block. I use the Timberwolf 3/4 x 3 tooth blade to resaw. the blade is .025" thick compared to most 3/4" blades that are .032 thick. The thicker blade cuts a larger kerf, using more of the saws available horsepower and I'm told that the thicker blades have problems with the 14" wheels. I've had the same blade for several years on my saw and it still cuts credit card thick (or should I say thin) slices of Sycamore. Just slow the cut so that the saw doesn't bog down. The larger motor will allow you to cut faster, but the blade may wander more.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                              Today, 06:47 PM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Plastic puzzle
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                              Today, 06:38 PM
                            • Jim Finn
                              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                              by Jim Finn
                              The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                              Today, 04:48 PM
                            • MidMich324
                              Reply to Plastic puzzle
                              by MidMich324
                              Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                              Today, 03:57 PM
                            • RJweb
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by RJweb
                              As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                              Today, 03:42 PM
                            Working...
                            X