New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toy

Grizzly sells other tools besides DW788's.

After 30 years, my old Shopsmith bandsaw has bit the bullet. It was time to look for a new one.

So the Grizzly G0555 got good ratings, and by buying one without green paint - you save $30. Got the 6-inch riser with it, too - so, resawing is much easier now.
    Attached Files
    The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

I have the green version and mine is the "x" But just saying I love mine. You will like yours as well I'm certain.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Good for you! The bandsaw is a must have in the shop JMO.
      Now that you can resaw you need a planer.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have the green version which is about 8 years old. I have resawed a bunch of wood with it. I do have two recommendations:

- use a 1/2" woodslicer blade to resaw. 14" band saws tend o be under powers for wider blades. Wood Slicer Bandsaw Blade | Custom Length Bandsaw Blades

- save up your pennies and get a set of carter roller guides Band Saw Conversion Kits by Carter Products

I do second Rolf's remarked about getting a planner or wide belt sander. Then you will never run out of thin stock.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

It resembles my 14" Jet with the 6" risers. Gotta second the Wood Slicer blade. It's hard to tell the sawn side from the planed side after cutting with the Wood Slicer. I've been told that Woodcraft Bandsaw Blades, located in beautiful North Carolina,(not connected with Woodcraft Stores) has a blade comparable to the Wood Slicer @ a much lower price. Haven't tried one yet, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Nice score Scott, but your shop looks suspiciously devoid of sawdust. You need to come over here and see what a really messy, dirty, knee deep sawdust covered shop looks like. You probably can even find a tool in your shop when you want it--where's the challenge????
          Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
            Good for you! The bandsaw is a must have in the shop JMO.
            Now that you can resaw you need a planer.
            I've been using the Dealt 12.5 inch planer for years. Works great.

The thing is - sometimes, depending on wood grain, I'll probably still use some narrow boards, resaw them and then do a book-open on them to get the great grain pattern.
            The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

I had the Carter conversion kit on the Shopsmith bandsaw - a few thousand percent improvement over cool blocks.

The Grizzly already has bearing blade guides on it. Are the Carter guides that much better? I'm assuming you are talking about that & not the blade stabilizer kit that allows the blade to flex for tight curves.

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
              I have the green version which is about 8 years old. I have resawed a bunch of wood with it. I do have two recommendations:

- use a 1/2" woodslicer blade to resaw. 14" band saws tend o be under powers for wider blades. Wood Slicer Bandsaw Blade | Custom Length Bandsaw Blades

- save up your pennies and get a set of carter roller guides Band Saw Conversion Kits by Carter Products

I do second Rolf's remarked about getting a planner or wide belt sander. Then you will never run out of thin stock.

Comment

Nice. I have the green one and it's definitely a work horse. Grizzly is a good buy for the money.

One question though, does anyone have issues with 1/8th inch blade staying on? I've tracked it and tighten but still works itself off.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                  Reply to Pattern Vault
                  by dottyblues
                  Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                  Today, 12:20 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                  I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                  In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                  I also added the...
                  Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                • will8989
                  Supermax
                  by will8989
                  Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Help help
                  by will8989
                  Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                  Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Pattern Vault
                  by KarlB
                  Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                  Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                Working...
                X