sprial blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprial blades

i was wondering if most people scroll with flat blades or spiral blades only because a lot of patterns in the magazines say spiral blades . can most patterns be cut with a flat blade????????????????????

yes, any pattern can be cut using flat blades.the exception is the limitation caused by the saws throat, and for some applications that can be overcome by twisting the ends of a flat blade 90 degrees and moving your stool to the side of your saw table. spirals are good for some things, and flats are good for some things, but yes, they can be interchanged and used in place of one another. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I use flat blades most of the time, I only use spiral blades when the pattern is to large for my saw.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

It largely comes down to a matter of personal preference. I cut virtually everything with flat blades. Dale pretty much covered it. I've seen terrific work cut with both types. I would say they're interchangeable for everything although I don't think spirals would work very well for segmentation.
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I like to cut out most of the pattern with flat blades. When there are veining cuts, I cut them with the flat blade and then recut the veining line with a 2/0 FD spiral blade. I do it this way because (1) It's easier and (2) I gives the project more of an impact if the veining is a little thicker
          Bob from Northwest Florida

Delta P20

Comment

spiral blades are great for cutting cheese. be sure to put wax paper down first though. I know it sounds funny, but I did this for a christmas party one time. I was making hats, trees, snowmen...it was amusing. The flat blades make the bottom of the cheese tear out, and that's not something you can sand out.
            Jeff Powell

Comment

Scrolling cheese, now that's funny!
              Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Todd, when are you coming Home.

Bob
                Delta P-20 & Q-3

Comment

Soon Bob, very soon.

The long journey back has already begun, they put us through alot of "un-winding" phases prior to us getting back, and once we hit stateside we go through a bit more prior to getting back home. I should see the states again around the 6th and be home by Thanksgiving.

A few more missions and I am officially mission complete here.
                  Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Todd good to hear that. Stay safe in the mean time.

Bob
                    Delta P-20 & Q-3

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                      Today, 10:01 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by will8989
                      Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                      Today, 09:53 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                      by will8989
                      Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                      Today, 09:49 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                      Today, 09:32 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Sundays market
                      by will8989
                      We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                      Today, 08:56 PM
                    Working...
                    X