reciprocating saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reciprocating saws

My corded Makita bit the dust and it's only 23 years old, so I am looking for a new reciprocating saw. Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand or model? I mostly use it with a 12" wood blade to cut small logs into movable or usable pieces for scrolling or recutting on the bandsaw, but it does need to do some demolition work in the near future. I don't want a cordless one since they eat batteries. Price is not a real problem for me since the most expensive ones seem to be under $200.

george
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Pawn Shop!

It's all fun
    Terry
    Craftsman 18"
    Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Milwaukee Sawzall has been pretty much the gold standard for recip saws for a long time. Mine is probably 7-8 years old. Not sure what models they offer now, but if I was looking for a new one, I'd probably start with Milwaukee.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wilson View Post
        Milwaukee Sawzall has been pretty much the gold standard for recip saws for a long time. Mine is probably 7-8 years old. Not sure what models they offer now, but if I was looking for a new one, I'd probably start with Milwaukee.
        Ditto on Milwaukee.
        Tony

Comment

From what I can tell, the Milwuake Sawzall is the go to tool as far as reciprocating saws go. As for which exact model I have no idea.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/s...procating-saws
          DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

I have been using a Milwaukee Sawsall at work since 1964 and still have one. For cutting small logs, an electric chain saw is a better choice. Cutting logs will kill a reciprocating saw.
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

If the Makita lasted 23 years then I get another Makita.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. I have not been able to find another Makita and have been leaning towards the Milwaukee 6509-22 at $110 with it's short 3/4" stroke. The other Milwaukee I have thought about is the 6523-21 with a longer 1 1/8" stroke for about $175, but I'm not sure I need the extra power, stroke length or weight.

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Sawsall is great. Check these form CPO Outlets.

Factory Reconditioned Milwaukee 6519-831 12 Amp Sawzall Reciprocating Saw with 1-1-8-in Stroke

Factory Reconditioned Milwaukee 6538-821 15 Amp Super Sawzall Orbital Recip Saw with Case
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I don’t know if I would use it for cutting logs, but I have the 13 Amp Dewalt DW311 that I will use with a 12-inch pruning blade to trim a few branches occasionally. It has a 1-1/8-inch stroke with an orbital cut, which is something I think all reciprosaws should have if you plan on doing any real cutting.
                    FYI: The newer Milwaukee reciprosaws have had a lot of problems with the gear protecting clutches they use breaking under heavy use.
                    DeWalt DW311K Heavy-Duty 13.0 Amp Reciprocating Saw Kit

I would agree that a small chain saw is probably a better option. I have a little 10-inch Remington electric chainsaw that works really well for small stuff. It is actually a pole saw, but is also detachable for use as a regular saw. You can get this exact same Remington saw with either a 12-inch or 14-inch bar for around $55-65.00 at Wal-Mart.
                    Walmart.com: Remington Limb N' Trim 12'' 8-Amp Electric Chain Saw: Garden Center
                    Last edited by KJS; 01-30-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                      Today, 12:59 AM
                    • will8989
                      Sundays market
                      by will8989
                      When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                      Today, 12:46 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by will8989
                      I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                      Today, 12:27 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by jim_mex
                      Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                      Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                    • KarlB
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by KarlB
                      Very well done!

Karl
                      Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                    Working...
                    X