reciprocating saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reciprocating saws

My corded Makita bit the dust and it's only 23 years old, so I am looking for a new reciprocating saw. Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand or model? I mostly use it with a 12" wood blade to cut small logs into movable or usable pieces for scrolling or recutting on the bandsaw, but it does need to do some demolition work in the near future. I don't want a cordless one since they eat batteries. Price is not a real problem for me since the most expensive ones seem to be under $200.

george
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Pawn Shop!

It's all fun
    Terry
    Craftsman 18"
    Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Milwaukee Sawzall has been pretty much the gold standard for recip saws for a long time. Mine is probably 7-8 years old. Not sure what models they offer now, but if I was looking for a new one, I'd probably start with Milwaukee.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wilson View Post
        Milwaukee Sawzall has been pretty much the gold standard for recip saws for a long time. Mine is probably 7-8 years old. Not sure what models they offer now, but if I was looking for a new one, I'd probably start with Milwaukee.
        Ditto on Milwaukee.
        Tony

Comment

From what I can tell, the Milwuake Sawzall is the go to tool as far as reciprocating saws go. As for which exact model I have no idea.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/s...procating-saws
          DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

I have been using a Milwaukee Sawsall at work since 1964 and still have one. For cutting small logs, an electric chain saw is a better choice. Cutting logs will kill a reciprocating saw.
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

If the Makita lasted 23 years then I get another Makita.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. I have not been able to find another Makita and have been leaning towards the Milwaukee 6509-22 at $110 with it's short 3/4" stroke. The other Milwaukee I have thought about is the 6523-21 with a longer 1 1/8" stroke for about $175, but I'm not sure I need the extra power, stroke length or weight.

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Sawsall is great. Check these form CPO Outlets.

Factory Reconditioned Milwaukee 6519-831 12 Amp Sawzall Reciprocating Saw with 1-1-8-in Stroke

Factory Reconditioned Milwaukee 6538-821 15 Amp Super Sawzall Orbital Recip Saw with Case
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I don’t know if I would use it for cutting logs, but I have the 13 Amp Dewalt DW311 that I will use with a 12-inch pruning blade to trim a few branches occasionally. It has a 1-1/8-inch stroke with an orbital cut, which is something I think all reciprosaws should have if you plan on doing any real cutting.
                    FYI: The newer Milwaukee reciprosaws have had a lot of problems with the gear protecting clutches they use breaking under heavy use.
                    DeWalt DW311K Heavy-Duty 13.0 Amp Reciprocating Saw Kit

I would agree that a small chain saw is probably a better option. I have a little 10-inch Remington electric chainsaw that works really well for small stuff. It is actually a pole saw, but is also detachable for use as a regular saw. You can get this exact same Remington saw with either a 12-inch or 14-inch bar for around $55-65.00 at Wal-Mart.
                    Walmart.com: Remington Limb N' Trim 12'' 8-Amp Electric Chain Saw: Garden Center
                    Last edited by KJS; 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                      Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
                      by leehljp
                      I haven't posted in a few months but I have been keeping up. I agree with what Mark is saying. To make everything for everyone would be very difficult. And I understand (from my wife's perspective) that computer apps are totally made for nerds - in her opinion. The breakdown is often between two of...
                      Yesterday, 11:37 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Old Tool - Reborn
                      by will8989
                      I really like that. Will have to show it to Bruce.
                      Yesterday, 10:47 PM
                    • evilbadger
                      Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                      by evilbadger
                      Yes I'm still using the one I built I did some upgrades to it though. I swapped out the pipes for linear motion rails and made the gantry out of aluminum. I guess if I were to upgrade now I would be looking for a full size machine that could do 4x8 sheets of plywood with an automatic tool changer but...
                      Yesterday, 09:28 PM
                    • vgraf
                      Reply to Old Tool - Reborn
                      by vgraf
                      Looks great!
                      Yesterday, 08:15 PM
                    • tgiro01
                      Old Tool - Reborn
                      by tgiro01
                      With all these new tool stories, I was working on and old one. About 9 years ago, I built a router table. Then, before it was finished, I had to start using it. And I have used it over the years. A couple of months ago, While I was contemplating cleaning, I looked at the machine and decided to finish...
                      Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                    Working...
                    X