How many still use Delta 40-601?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many still use Delta 40-601?

In searching for a good used saw, I came across a Craigslist ad for a Delta 40-601. Upon researching this saw, I see that failures of the speed control (and lack of replacements) are a major issue. I was curious how many of these machines are still in use and weather it would be a good investment of my time and resources to develop a replacement speed control board that would be a direct replacement for the original.

Also, does anybody have a dead board they'd be willing to send me to aid in developing a replacement? If it looks like there would be enough demand, I'd be willing to send you a new replacement to test at cost.

Finally, if your saw had a dead controller, and new replacements were available, what cost would you be willing to pay for the part?

Thanks,

Steve.

I take it from your post you have not seen the original board. It is very simple my electronic person told me and he has repaired a few for me and others. He says about any good beginner in electronics can fix it.
    I have 2 of these saws I don't use any longer. Not sure how many are still in use. By the way the board, polished aluminum mounting board, switch and everything was sold as one unit for $385.00 price range. Thing is to buy that saw now I would say max price of $150.00 in good working order. Problem is there are a lot more things that go wrong with the saw and those parts are not available.
    Last edited by Rick-H; 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM.
    Rick Hutcheson
    http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

Thanks -- no I have not seen the board in person, just saw lots of complaints about it. No doubt about ease of repairs either -- however I would assume most users could either replace an entire board themselves (or know somebody who can), yet might not know someone with electronics experience to perform the repairs. I would think that I can have new circuit boards produced, and install all new components to provide a board that could easily be swapped out in its entirety. This would even be a preferable solution over repairing an existing board because all components would be new -- you never know when that next component that tests good now will fail. My occupation is in electronics. I have a degree in electronic engineering and am the general foreman for the sound & video department at a major film studio. I simply saw this as an opportunity to help others make an economical repair to a saw that is otherwise regarded as very capable for heavier work. If there aren't enough of them out there, then it's probably not worth pursuing.

On another note, it's ironic that you stopped by to reply to my post -- I've just spent the last couple of hours perusing your site and reading the tune-up pages. Nice collection of information there -- I've bookmarked it.

Comment

Well just the board is not all of the problem The speed is read by a disc on the end of the motor shaft, not a part of the board. That disc seems to break sometimes. THen the worse part is the plastic gears inside the saw that wear. When they wear the saw gets noisey and a little more vibration, those gears are not available any more. I changed them about 3 times a year when I was running the saws hard.
        Rick Hutcheson
        http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick-H View Post
          Well just the board is not all of the problem The speed is read by a disc on the end of the motor shaft, not a part of the board. That disc seems to break sometimes. THen the worse part is the plastic gears inside the saw that wear. When they wear the saw gets noisey and a little more vibration, those gears are not available any more. I changed them about 3 times a year when I was running the saws hard.
          Because I need a single speed I assembled a DC power supply with a transformer of 75 volts output 2 1000 microfarads capacitors and a bridge and that was all! The machine is the best I ever used, have 15 years working with me in heavy shop work, replaced the inside gears only one time after the 15 years, and I bought the machine used! the speed control broke the next week I used the saw. I just love the Delta 40-601, Does any one have one to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by spepin View Post
            In searching for a good used saw, I came across a Craigslist ad for a Delta 40-601. Upon researching this saw, I see that failures of the speed control (and lack of replacements) are a major issue. I was curious how many of these machines are still in use and weather it would be a good investment of my time and resources to develop a replacement speed control board that would be a direct replacement for the original.

Also, does anybody have a dead board they'd be willing to send me to aid in developing a replacement? If it looks like there would be enough demand, I'd be willing to send you a new replacement to test at cost.

Finally, if your saw had a dead controller, and new replacements were available, what cost would you be willing to pay for the part?

Man: a better solution for those interested in a single speed: make a DC power source with a transformer 110-75 output, the capacitors and the bridge and that is all. The machine will work fine for years and years!

Thanks,

Steve.
            Man: a better solution for those interested in a single speed: make a DC power source with a transformer 110-75 output, the capacitors and the bridge and that is all. The machine will work fine for years and years!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick-H View Post
              I take it from your post you have not seen the original board. It is very simple my electronic person told me and he has repaired a few for me and others. He says about any good beginner in electronics can fix it.
              I have 2 of these saws I don't use any longer. Not sure how many are still in use. By the way the board, polished aluminum mounting board, switch and everything was sold as one unit for $385.00 price range. Thing is to buy that saw now I would say max price of $150.00 in good working order. Problem is there are a lot more things that go wrong with the saw and those parts are not available.
              If you still have those saws may be you sell one to me, no matter the speed control broken! Thanks

Comment

Used Delta 40-601

Hi everyone. I'm new to scroll sawing. I just bought this machine last week. I turned it on and it vibrated pretty good. I thought it was because it wasn't secured down. After reading these posts, it seems the speed control is bad. It speeds up on it's own. The vibration might be caused from the plastic gears. I use this same saw in wood class and it works fine. I'd like to sell the one I have because I don't have the time or knowledge to fix it. Thanks.

Comment

Hello All,
                  While searching for information about this 40-601 Delta scroll saw I found this forum but had several days of a problem logging in here requiring help from the Host to work things out.
                  I wanted to let anyone looking for "some" of the replacement parts for this and other old machines of the place I was able to get my part from in 4 days. My 40-601 just shattered its plastic speed control "Rotor" which caused the speed to run only at its scarry highest.
                  I was able to find a replacement rotor from this place. http://www.mikestools.com/430-03-100-0001-Delta-Speed-Control-Rotor.aspx $63.00 plus $10 shipping.
                  Accessing, removing, aligning and reinstalling parts so that the machines weighted gears are balanced properly is required to keep the vibration minimul.
                  I can only hope this fix will last a good while but seeing plastic gears and rotor used in that application has lowered my opinion of good old Delta.
                  Regards,
                  Bill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    I just used different wood scraps I had to make the kayaks. I still do t see anymore in my future.
                    Today, 01:09 AM
                  • Jim McDonald
                    Reply to Delta Q3 fuse question
                    by Jim McDonald
                    Twenty years in electronics retail and here is a quick dirty way to tell the difference:
                    a fast blow will only have the wire element. Slow blow almost always has some extra structure that will be left behind after the fuse blows.
                    Secondly, there is a series of three letter engraved on one...
                    Yesterday, 08:54 PM
                  • Ennobee
                    Reply to Looking For Mom and Baby Animal Pattern
                    by Ennobee
                    They look like David Spielmann's Designs to me. I will check my library this evening, but I bet you already that they are from one of his pattern books.
                    Yesterday, 01:55 PM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                    by jim_mex
                    Thanks all - you folks do wonders for my ego with your comments and importantly fire me up to keep trying new things

Scott - once this Covid situation has passed I'll definitely be heading up to NC. I'm tentatively thinking late spring/early summer next year. I am not sure just what pointers...
                    Yesterday, 01:35 PM
                  • JustLarry
                    Reply to Delta Q3 fuse question
                    by JustLarry
                    I found this information on fuses in general.

Blowing type. Fast-blow fuses will blow as soon as the current reaches the fuse's amperage rating, while slow-blow fuses are designed to tolerate a large number of startup surges and modest short-term overloads without blowing.
                    Fast-blow...
                    Yesterday, 12:56 PM
                  Working...
                  X