What saws are out there now? Need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What saws are out there now? Need input

I am putting together a current resource list to hand out to the new members of our scrolling club.
    What are the latest saws out there? Especially at the entry level. I am looking for new not used.
    For High end I have the Hegner, Hawk, Eclipse,
    Mid range Excalibur, Delta
    Entry level I am at a loss The saws I see at Lowes and Home depot do not impress me and I could not recommend them with a clear conscience.
    Unless you guys have more hands on positive feedback on some of them.
    I really miss the simple Delta SS350 which was a real good entry level saw with decent tool free clamps.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Have you looked back on the issue where they (Bob) did the reviews?
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Rolf, I think Mike is referring to the 2010 issue #40(fall). It has all the saws listed with prices & some stat's on them. Do you have that issue? Good Luck
      PERK

Comment

I'll be following this with interest, as I would like to do the same for the students in the scrollsawing class I'll be teaching in the Spring.

One of the problems I've noticed with the entry level saws is that new brands/models come out and disappear very quickly, or so it seems. It's hard to keep up with that is current. Too bad there aren't a few decent saws out there in the $150-$200 range. It's kind of tough to tell a beginner that they will have to spend upwards of $600+ in order to get a good saw,
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I think the $180 Porter Cable (with stand) is very good for entry level. Felt solid in the store and features-wise it is impressive too. I read in a review that it has lowish vibration.

Comment

Perk thanks I was looking for it but keep forgetting to search the site...LOL You would think of all people I would remember to do [email protected]!!
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have the magazine and will look through it again but I seem to think that several of the entry level saws in that article are no longer available. I think Bill is right the saws have come and gone rather quickly in the last few years.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have a DeWalt and love it. Just bought an Excalibur 21" which is still in my car as I type.
                Diane
                Dragon
                Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                Owner of a Dewalt 788
                PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I still use a 16 inch Dremel. Has some vibration issues but it has been really good to me.
                  Keith

Comment

You know, I went through that very situation when I was looking to purchase my first scroll saw a couple of months ago. I wasn’t ready to pony up $500.00 or more for a larger saw and all the offerings I looked at from Ryobi, Skill, Craftsman, PC, Genesis, Rikon and a few other generic brands looked like flimsy lightweight junk and also seemed like they could have all been made by the same factory in China.
                    I had been reading a lot of scroll saw reviews online and knew which 16-inch model I was looking for, but unfortunately it had been out of production for several years. My perseverance paid off though and was stoked to finally find the Delta SS350 that I had been after, so I snapped it up. I paid $150.00 for it, but it was brand spanking new in the box and had never even been opened before.

This saw is really smooth and quiet and the blade alignment is dead on. I was so impressed that I wrote Delta and told them it was a shame it was no longer being offered and also asked if they had any plans to reintroduce it or a similar model. I mentioned that since there really isn’t any decent 16 or 18-inch saws available in the $200.00 price range, the market is wide open. I got a reply back that the design team is currently working on just such an item, so it sounds like something is in the works.

Comment

Put in the Porter Cable. I have the Hitachi version. Take the wing nut off the hold=down and use it on the blade clamp. Presto, no tool needed. It can also be used as a top feeder by threading the blade, then clamping the top then the bottom if you can use heavier blades, say #3 and up. Applies good tension, easy to level the table, and has a good speed control. Also has minimal vibration.
                      Got Moose?

Comment

Another vote for Porter Cable. I own it, built a stand that had carpet on the deck where the saw mounted to, and I have absolutely no vibration

Comment

I have a question. What is the criteria to be a high end saw? What exactly is the difference between a high end and mid level and entry level? I have always heard that Hegner, EX's, Hawk, and Dewalt are high end saws but what makes them high end and others entry level or mid level. On some saws it's obvious why they are entry level but on others the only difference I can see is the price.
                          It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

Check the new issue # 50.
                            On page 66,67,68,69 Bob has the ScrollSaw Buyers's Guide.
                            There is also a lot of in formation about blades in # 50.
                            FD Mike
                            SD Mike

Comment

Sears has 3 different models and brands all under $200.00 but that is all I know about them.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X