Help with blades and speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with blades and speed

Hi All, hope you all a good Christmas, can you all please help here I am new to scroll sawing and have a question about blades what are the sizes available and which are best for which wood? and also can you point me in the right direction regarding speed what speed should my scroll saw be on for various wood types.
    I am sure this is very basic stuff and I promise not to ask again!!
    Have a great weekend
    Will

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 01-15-2012, 10:22 AM.

There are a number of quality blades on the market. IMHO Flying Dutchman are the best of those. I get mine from Mike:
    Mike's Workshop selling Flying Dutchman brand fret and scrollsaw blades

I do have to say that I use #5 ultra reverse tooth or #5 reverse tooth for at least 75% of my cutting. I cut hardwoods, softwoods and plywood with those. There are times that I might go to a larger or smaller reverse tooth but not often. For 3D cutting I use mostly a #5 polar blade to cut wood up to 1 1/2 thick.

Machine speed is a learned ability. By that I mean you set the speed at the level you are comfortable with. I prefer higher speeds most of the time as I use my saw daily and I have developed a "feel". Now I do slow down when working on delicate areas that have tight turns.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
      There are a number of quality blades on the market. IMHO Flying Dutchman are the best of those. I get mine from Mike:
      Mike's Workshop selling Flying Dutchman brand fret and scrollsaw blades

I do have to say that I use #5 ultra reverse tooth or #5 reverse tooth for at least 75% of my cutting. I cut hardwoods, softwoods and plywood with those. There are times that I might go to a larger or smaller reverse tooth but not often. For 3D cutting I use mostly a #5 polar blade to cut wood up to 1 1/2 thick.

Machine speed is a learned ability. By that I mean you set the speed at the level you are comfortable with. I prefer higher speeds most of the time as I use my saw daily and I have developed a "feel". Now I do slow down when working on delicate areas that have tight turns.
      A one thumbs up in this information , Flying Dutchman blades are the only one's I use after trying just about every blade on the market also ..the speed is a learning process as said too ..........MB
      Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Here are a couple threads that may help answer some of your questions.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/beg...-saw/42050.htm

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/beg...-saw/41724.htm
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I agree with the above. However, about the questions, feel free to ask anything, anytime. You should get lots of answers no matter how often you ask. And Most of them will be right..
          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Bruce, the one on probation
            by will8989
            is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
            Today, 12:59 AM
          • will8989
            Sundays market
            by will8989
            When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
            Today, 12:46 AM
          • will8989
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by will8989
            I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
            Today, 12:27 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
            by jim_mex
            Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
            Yesterday, 08:47 PM
          • KarlB
            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
            by KarlB
            Very well done!

Karl
            Yesterday, 07:36 PM
          Working...
          X