New Delta 40-695 20-Inch Scroll Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Delta 40-695 20-Inch Scroll Saw

I don’t know if anyone has seen this yet, but Delta just came out with a new model 40-695 20-inch scroll saw. From the picture and specs on their site, it looks like it is very similar to the 40-690 in many ways, so I have to wonder if maybe they’ll be retiring their older Dewalt clone sometime in the near future.
    40-695

Looks like you would be limited to a lot less than 20" with whatever that is on the left side.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

mick, there isnt anything on the left side, it looks to me like it is the rear of the saw.
      they just made the casting different

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

I take it the 40-695, will not have the quality control issues that the DeWalt Type 2 and it's clone the 40-690 had?
        DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

Is Delta still supporting the Q3 and other older models?

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Michael, I imagine the new model will be manufactured in Taiwan also, so the quality control will be the same.
            Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Walker View Post
              Michael, I imagine the new model will be manufactured in Taiwan also, so the quality control will be the same.
              Oh, they haven't started production, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if they fix the issues of blade alignment, table flatness, etc.

On a similar note, any idea on when we can start seeing some reviews(coinciding with a release date) from scrollsawer magazine as well as other woodworking magazines on this machine?
              DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

I also seen the photos of this soon to be in production saw, and quite honestly I was pleased to see it.
                This weekend I spent saturday and Sunday working with a leader from another 4h woodworking group doing a scrollsaw workshop, where each of the kids to choose a pattern, apply it to wood, and cut out the piece.The kids are there for 3 hours, and walk out with a scrolled project they chose and created, ready for finish. A nearby Woodcraft store (well, about an hour away) allows the 4H club to use their store workshops Dewalt saws for this event. Generally we get 6 saws from them to use, but this year they only had 3 saws available, as three others were out for service. Of the three saws we did have, 2 of them have serious issues with holding tension. The saws are all type 1 saws, but have literally thousands of hours on each machine, and much abuse as well.Georges 4H club owns a Dewalt scrollsaw, and he also rounds up a couple loner saws from some others, as well as one of mine. Today he got the ok from his 4H clubs treasury for funds to purchase another saw, so when they returned the Woodcraft loners, they picked up a brand new Delta clone to the Dewalt, the 40-690 at that special $349 price. We set it up, and I was very impressed it, right out of the box.I was most amazed in the fact that it had almost 0 vibration in any speed, and seems to run as smooth or smoother than my Dewalt type1. Maybe just luck, but this Delta saw seems like it was made very well, and did not show any signs of the numerous problems some have had with the Type 2 Dewalts. Now, this newer model the 40-695 soon to be out will be almost identical, except a few design changes that make the arm stay up when it needs to be up. That is one thing that was suggested to Dewalt a million times and they never made an attempt to accomodate that suggestion, so maybe Delta will listen to customers more than Dewalt has, time will tell. That being said, I would give two thumbs up to anyone regarding the purchase of a new 40-690 scrollsaw, and am pretty confident the newer model coming out, the 40-695 will be even better!
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by sawdustus View Post
                  Is Delta still supporting the Q3 and other older models?

george
                  George, as far as I can tell, it looks like the answer to that question would be "minimally".

It appears that some other parts suppliers like ereplacement parts and Tool Parts Direct may have a few more stocked parts on hand, but once those are gone it appears doubtful that Delta will provide any more.

Comment

Thanks KJS. Looks like I will have to try to stock up on blade clamps and related parts since they seem to be the only things that ever break on me. I tend to overtighten my blades to keep them as inflexible as possible.

george
                    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I wonder if the light is improved. Did the 40-690 have blade storage? I just got mine and haven't played with it yet.

Comment

I called a store 2 weeks ago which had the 40-690 listed. I called them and they said it was discontinued, but then they seemed to say they simply stopped carrying it when I pressed a bit. It'll be interesting to see what they sell for - I assume the price will be going up.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X