dewalt type2 motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dewalt type2 motor?

hey all. i havent been around in quite some time. no excuses. but i sure could use some assistance.
    the motor on my type 2 788 took a poop. anyone know where i can get the lowest price for a replacement? i'm seein $200 ish for a replacement.

Tom sorry to say but $200 - $250 seems to be the going price for a new one. Did you check the brushes on yours? I would also try to blow the motor out if you have a compressor. Fine sawdust plays havoc.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

brushes are in great shape. she seems pretty sealed, but i'll see iffen i can blow it out. i'll let ya know what happens. its about 4 years old and i cant even count how many hours, but its quite a bit. was also wondering iffen there was any difference between the type 2 and type 1 motor as i've heard the type 1 saw is the better of the 2(?).

Comment

Are you sure its the motor and not the switch?
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

tested everything. had a few diodes that were bad on the board, caused by the windings(?) goin bad. electronics repair is a friend of mines specialty and he check out everything. we hooked the motor directly up to power, with the motor off the saw, and it just shudders. no rotation on the shaft

Comment

At $200 for a new motor, you should try craigslist. You can get a complete saw for usually $200 to $300. If you're lucky, I've even seen one sell for $75.
            DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

You might also take the motor to an electrical motor repair shop . Might be a quick and inexpensive fix.
              Roger

Comment

When your friend hooked it up directly to power, did he use AC or DC? at what voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjet View Post
                  You might also take the motor to an electrical motor repair shop . Might be a quick and inexpensive fix.
                  Roger
                  A good idea ..................MB
                  Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

They have got to be an off the shelf motor. We just have to find it by spec and or size
                    May the wind at you back .....
                    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

120 v AC was used to test it. pulled the motor apart and it's clean as a whistle. we have a repair shop here in town, they only work on electrical motors. gonna be takin it to them in the next few days and see iffen they can fix it or cross reference or something to find a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsteve View Post
                        120 v AC was used to test it. pulled the motor apart and it's clean as a whistle. we have a repair shop here in town, they only work on electrical motors. gonna be takin it to them in the next few days and see iffen they can fix it or cross reference or something to find a replacement.
                        If they give you a cross reference please let us all know. There are a lot of us DW788 owners out here and nothing lasts forever. One never knows when something will wear out.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
                          If they give you a cross reference please let us all know. There are a lot of us DW788 owners out here and nothing lasts forever. One never knows when something will wear out.
                          I am one that has the model 788 type 2 also , never had any problems in the 4 years I've had - never can tell ..........keep us posted about the motor ......
                          Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Comment

I agree - speed controls in general go bad. Especially if the motor was stopped (blade got stuck in wood somehow; etc), then the motor would dreaw a lot of amps and blow the control circuits. I assume you checked for any fuses (not sure if the saw has fuses - just got mine but I am a EE). Your friend should check the voltage on the motor's input (with motor connected to the saw as normal) - vary the speed control knob and see what happens.

I wonder (if you are 100% sure the motor died) if you could send the motor somewhere and have them figure out which model it is, and send a new one back...or fix yours.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by will8989
                                Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                                Today, 09:09 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                                ingers crossed
                                Today, 07:35 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                                My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                                Today, 04:32 PM
                              Working...
                              X