Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supporting longer wood on a drill press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting longer wood on a drill press?

Hello all,
    I was wondering how you support longer pieces of wood on a drill press. I seem to need 3 hands when I try to drill the holes on the one end as the other end wants to fall of the drill support platform. I try using a spring clap but that takes too long after I have to adjust the clamp after every hole I drill. Thanks.
    Mark
    Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Mine is a bench drill, if I have had anything long I found something or several somethings same height as the drill bed and lay it across then clamp. A pain aye but better than trying to squeeze out a spare arm hehe.

Could you lower the bed or swivel it to the back of the drill, then put something larger beneath where the bed was and cover with a decent piece of timber and use that as a bed?

Sunlion
    The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Just place a third hand under it to the side. an extension arm or a board. Stop and step back and assess the situation and you will see a solution.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have an adjustable height, single roller stand that I can use anywhere in the shop where I need to support one end of a long board.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I do what Bill does. If you have rafters you might hang a rope from them making a sling to put the end of the wood in.

Roger

Comment

Same as Bill. Very useful device for drill press, band saw, table saw, miter saw etc. Bought 2 when I was still making furniture but they do come in handy once in a while for scrolling.

george
            A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
            George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Instead of clamping the workpiece to the drill press table, clamp a long piece of scrap to serve as a table extension. If your scrap is very long you have the opporunity to extend the table in both directions - helps with balance.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X