Scroll mate 14" or 22"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll mate 14" or 22"?

I found a 14" scroll mate that looks pretty good asking $185 and I found a Sakura 21" Scrollmate Scroll Saw that looks like out of the box for $450 (I think I can get it in the $300-350 range). Is the extra depth that important? I mostly do bowls and a little fretwork. I have only been scrolling about 6 months and am currently using a POS Makita where I can hardly keep the blades in the clamps.

Does size really matter?

Brian
    Last edited by BrianA; 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM.

Most of us started with a smaller (14 -16" saw) and were able to make many items, but I think you will be much happier if purchase the larger saw. There will be many times when you DO need the larger saw. I have made allot of bowls, and without my 22" Hegner, I would not have been able to cut the larger bowl. If you can afford it, go with a larger and the best brand you can get...you will not regret it.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

Brian, I have never heard of either one and can't find either on line.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I think that the company is now PS Wood. That seem to have nice saws. The price is going to be $350 so I'm just trying to get a handle on the quality of the saw.

PS Wood Machines

Brian

Comment

Brian, I watched the demo and it looks to be a very nice machine, everything up front. I couldn't tell how she turned the machine on and off. Maybe a foot switch. The belt drive is out in the open. My Delta P-20 the belt and pulleys are covered. Don't know how the sawdust would effect that. I see it was also made here in the U.S. Which is a big plus. The 5 year warranty is also a plus. $350. is that for the 14" or the 21"? I have only ever had a 20". Guess it would depend on what you plan to cut with it as to which would be best for you, the 14" or the 21". Good luck with whichever saw you choose.
          Last edited by Mick Walker; 01-12-2012, 02:09 PM. Reason: Added a sentence
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

The only thing I did not like about the One PS wood machine that I used was it's agressive front to back blade motion. But then I don't like the dewalts for that same reason.JMO
            It looked like a well built solid machine.
            I would also go for the larger machine, one never knows where the hobby will take them.
            Last edited by Rolf; 01-12-2012, 02:29 PM.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I would like to address your current problem with blades slipping out of the clamps. If you are having a lot of trouble with this there are a few things you should do.

#1 Take out the thumbscrews and set screws (opposite of the thumbscrew, if there is one) and make sure the tips are nice and flat. If they are rounded around the edges (quite likely) use a piece of rather fine sandpaper set on a hard flat surface to sand them flat again. You have to be careful to grip them firmly and sand them perpendicular.

#2 If the screws are not rounded on the end, then they are in all likelihood dirty. They can get a buildup of oily residue from the blades that easily comes off with a quick wipe of paint thinner.

#3 To keep the screws from quickly getting oily again, you should wipe the tips of your blades with paint thinner before putting them in the clamps. It won't eliminate the problem completely but it helps a heck of a lot.

As for the question you were really asking, I personally don't like to swing around any piece bigger than a 14" saw could handle so I would be ok with that size. Spinning a 20" board around on the saw is a real chore... When the piece is swung towards you, don't forget that puts your body 20" away from the blade... It's hard to scroll from an arms length away.
              Keith Fenton
              Scroll saw patterns @
              www.sheilalandrydesigns.com

Comment

Brian, I have the Sakura 21". Its not the Cadillac but its pretty good machine. Never had a problem with dust in the belt. There's an on-off switch on the front right which I taped over and it came with a foot switch. $350 sounds high to me. I paid $150 from mine and it was barely used. You might want to check on eBay to see what prices are there. (I did have to add the quick change system to mine).
                Bill

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ended up with what I think is a real "tool Gloat" I bought a Brand new 2010 Dewalt 788. Got it for $175 plus 7 DZ blades. No stand. Absolutely not a mark or scratch on it. Looks like it was never used.

I'm excited.

Brian

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X