Dual Tilting Table on Scroll Saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Tilting Table on Scroll Saws

I am looking at purchasing a new scroll saw and I see some models offer a table that tilts both left and right up to 45 degrees. How important is this feature?

Thanks

When cutting scroll saw bowls or certain self framing pieces the ability to tilt is important. IMHO having a table that tilts in both directions is not critical. What is critical is developing an understanding whether the piece needs to be cut clockwise or counter clockwise to obtain the correct angles.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Since cutting clockwise with the right side of the table down gives the same results as cutting counterclockwise with the left side of the table down, and vice versa, a 2-way tilt is not necessary.

The Hegner, for example, tilts 45˚, left side down, but only 10˚ right side down. Most saw tables tilt left side down, or both ways, but there are a few that only tilt right side down. Once you understand the principles, you can adapt any instructions to your situation. Don't even consider a saw with a table that doesn't tilt at all. It will prevent your doing a lot of interesting projects, like inlay and bowls.

For simplicity and ease in following most instructions, it's probably wise to get a saw with a table that either tilts both ways, or left side down. There are plenty to choose from that meet that criterion, in all price ranges.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

The tilt feature is necessary for me because I do a lot of inlay projects. I have two Hegnars which both tilt . I leave one set to 3 degree tilt to do all my inlay work.
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

The beauty of the EX is that the table doesn't tilt but the top arm with the blade does. This makes cutting angles much easier. When you have a saw with a tilted table, you're constantly fighting gravity trying to keep the object in place depending on the degree of angle. With the EX, you're cutting angles with the object on a level table. If you think you will be doing a lot of angles, you might want to give the EX some serious thought.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Tom in Ashland
            Fiona Kingdon pattern from Summer issue
            by Tom in Ashland
            Quarter inch BB with Red Gum (Australian Eucalyptus) veneer. My first attempt at veneering and there are a couple spots where there was not quit enough glue so small pieces of the veneer came off....
            Today, 07:59 PM
          • millwab
            Cutting Styles
            by millwab
            In preparation for a scrolling demonstration I decided to make up a piece that would show the different ways I've cut puzzles. It's 2 layers of 1/8" BB. The puzzles were cut out as tray puzzles and then glued back in so pieces wouldn't get lost as it was handled.
            Today, 04:41 PM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to Workshop extension and major facelift - a work in progress - update at 13 April
            by jim_mex
            Update at 13 AprilIts been almost a month since my last post and my shop extension is progressing albeit slowly largely due to me nibbling at it on a regular basis rather than sticking with it and going full blast to get it finished.

The outside
            of the extension is almost finished apart...
            Today, 03:45 PM
          • Rolf
            Reply to New Toy!
            by Rolf
            Quartz I only bought the air filter, That same model is sold by many distributors, I see Grizzly has it and several others. I was going to build one but this thing works great. I will get a charcoal filter for it also. Great when doing Pyrography. They also had a Pfingst brand flex shaft tool I haven't...
            Today, 07:50 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to New Toy!
            by NC Scroller
            Nice score!
            Today, 06:16 AM
          Working...
          X