dw788 center blade in table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dw788 center blade in table

Was looking hard for a scroll saw about a year ago, then due to financial reasons,stopped for a while. A few days ago I was on craigs list and ran across a DW788, type one only a mile from my house,long story short I bought it. He claims it was only used twice, from how it looks it would hard to dispute that. It's clean.My only concern is the blade rides very close to the left side of the opening in the table. He told me all I had to do is move the set screws on the blade holders to center the blade, but that movement is minimal, so I tried moving table by loosening the set screw under the tilt knob, but that only squares the table to the blade, it doesn't move the table over. I looked at the screws that connect the table to the tilt mechanism, but there doesn't seem to be any play there either. Is there a way to move either the blade or table to get it closer to center?

Check out these sites:

Tune

DeWALT DW788 TYPE 1 parts breakdown on ToolPartsDirect.com

They might help you, I had the same problem on my 788 and the table wasn't hard to readjust.

Arthur

Comment

There is no way to adjust the table to get the blade centered. If adjusting the set screws doesn't center the blade then you have one of the famous Dewalt problems which is misplacement of the blade slot. Did you happen to notice the numerous posts on this forum about all the problems with this saw before you ran out and brought this? Having originally purchased the Dewalt myself, I would suggest you put the saw up on craigs list and try to recoup your money. If I only knew about this forum before my purchase and waste of 500 bucks.

Comment

I do agree with sawdust on it is likely a quality issue. I don't agree with sawdust on dumping it quick and running. The 788 is a great machine. If the blade is not touching the side do nothing. If it does hit from time to time you can slightly enlarge the hole with a sharp file
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Dw788

oregoncarver: thanks for the links, tune described the same problem, however did not offer a solution.maybe i'll call my local DeWalt service center.

sawdust: I'm the type that researches things to death before I make a decision. missed out on some deals because of it. Unfortunately this one slipped by me. all the discussions on DeWalt have always been between type 1 and type 2, type 1 always coming out the winner. I don't recall ever hearing about the blade not centered in the table on a type 1.I did all my research a year ago on scroll saws, and decided on a DeWalt because I can't afford a excalibur. I wasn't really even looking to buy one at this time, but when one showed up so close to home I couldn't resist.

NC Scroller: Thank you for your reply I'm not going to give up on it just yet.

Comment

If the blade is close to the edge, you're going to start cutting into the table. As a current 788 and EX owner I cannot agree with Scott that the 788 is a great machine. If it was even a fair working machine, I would have never had to purchase the EX21 a year after my 788 purchase. If you got lucky and your 788 works fine that is great. But one scan of the posts on this forum and others will tell you that it is a very problematic saw that doesn't have any fixes.

Comment

I fix it

I fixed the problem by taking the table off and widening the screw slots on the tilt mechanism the table connects to, then reinstalled the table, put in a blade centered the hole and tightened it down.

Comment

Is that on the type 1 or type 2 models??
                Someone say tool or lumber sale I am out of here

Comment

it is a type 1

Comment

makindust, go to Rick's Scrollsaw Rick has a lot of information on the 788 on his site. His e-mail address is posted there also, he may be able to offer you some advice.
                    Good luck with it.
                    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I don't own a 788 but looking at the parts chart I was wondering if you loosened the screws #40 & #55 at the back of the lower arm would you be able to shift arm slightly to center the table to line up the hole then retighten the screws. Just a thought looking at the mechanics of the assembly.

Tom

Comment

Glad you got it fixed. I really got a lot of good years out of my 788 (12).
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. hope this is the only issue I have with this saw.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X