DUST - RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUST - RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

I'm probably going to get the RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander but have question about vacume pickup. Is it real good for both the belt and spindle? My other choice could be guinevere but, it's higher and I already have a Foredom.

So, if you have a Ridgid, how good is the dust pickup?

Thanks,
    Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think the dust collection, connected to my shop vac, is pretty decent. I don't notice a significant difference between belt & spindle.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I've had the ridgid belt/spindle sander for about 4 years now...as far as dust collection goes it's almost impossible to prevent it..my heavy duty shopvac works great.hose plugs into the rear of the mschine and draws down and out as the project is sanded..the rest of the dust, (minimal) sits on the top rear of the machine as it falls off the belt/spindle ).my older smaller vac has an adapter on the end of the hose..it leaves somewhat more on the machine.....still works good enough for me.......without the shopvacs connected the dust is HORRIBLE and pretty much creates the need for a GOOD dust mask....any good machine will create a problem when sanding as the amount of dust will have a tendancy to collect on the table and prevent the ability to see the outline of the project......would advise the use of a vac/dustcollection system ANYTIME wood is sanded.
      A small fan set in the right spot will help to clear the table but then the air is loaded with the dust.

Comment

DaveW and Bill,
        That's what I needed to know, that vac actually works pretty good. Doesn't have to be perfect I just wanted to make sure the vac port wasn't just for marketing.

Thanks Regis
        An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

I agree with the others, you should wear a dust mask. I have the Rigid and the Jet machines, and I think the dust is collected better on the Rigid. I use the Jet allot when I need a tilting table. Both are put to use many times in my shop and both have to be hand dusted with the shop vac after use. But without the vac hookup on the rear of the machine, it would really be a mess.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jo Labre
            Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
            by Jo Labre
            I cut a bunch of chakte viga and leopardwood pieces for the Viking project and the blade seems pretty good yet. I imagine if I were to only cut softer hardwoods (?) the blade would last quite a long time. Still - $25.00 is a lot more than the cost of standard scroll saw blades....
            Today, 02:36 PM
          • old fa_t
            Reply to Old,,,,but new here
            by old fa_t
            The room was supposed to be storage but it's my office? now with a roll top desk and a barristers bookcase.which I built when I was able.
            Today, 01:55 PM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
            by Rolf
            Very nice! I really like your setup especially for the dust collection. I would have to figure out a way to re-weld the blade.
            And Oh to have wall space and organizational skills!
            Today, 09:55 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Old,,,,but new here
            by Rolf
            Welcome! As the others have said, lots of support and knowledge here ready to be shared.
            Is the 6 x10 your workspace or your entire apartment. ?
            Today, 09:34 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Log slice ornaments
            by Rolf
            Most of the cut outs were done with the scroll saw.
            Karl I have a couple of power carvers. The classic Dremel with a flex shaft I then bought a Ram Power carver, they both use 1/8 shank bits. I have a bunch of carbide cutters from when our Printed circuit board facility at work was dismantled....
            Today, 09:29 AM
          Working...
          X