DUST - RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUST - RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

I'm probably going to get the RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander but have question about vacume pickup. Is it real good for both the belt and spindle? My other choice could be guinevere but, it's higher and I already have a Foredom.

So, if you have a Ridgid, how good is the dust pickup?

Thanks,
    Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think the dust collection, connected to my shop vac, is pretty decent. I don't notice a significant difference between belt & spindle.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I've had the ridgid belt/spindle sander for about 4 years now...as far as dust collection goes it's almost impossible to prevent it..my heavy duty shopvac works great.hose plugs into the rear of the mschine and draws down and out as the project is sanded..the rest of the dust, (minimal) sits on the top rear of the machine as it falls off the belt/spindle ).my older smaller vac has an adapter on the end of the hose..it leaves somewhat more on the machine.....still works good enough for me.......without the shopvacs connected the dust is HORRIBLE and pretty much creates the need for a GOOD dust mask....any good machine will create a problem when sanding as the amount of dust will have a tendancy to collect on the table and prevent the ability to see the outline of the project......would advise the use of a vac/dustcollection system ANYTIME wood is sanded.
      A small fan set in the right spot will help to clear the table but then the air is loaded with the dust.

Comment

DaveW and Bill,
        That's what I needed to know, that vac actually works pretty good. Doesn't have to be perfect I just wanted to make sure the vac port wasn't just for marketing.

Thanks Regis
        An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

I agree with the others, you should wear a dust mask. I have the Rigid and the Jet machines, and I think the dust is collected better on the Rigid. I use the Jet allot when I need a tilting table. Both are put to use many times in my shop and both have to be hand dusted with the shop vac after use. But without the vac hookup on the rear of the machine, it would really be a mess.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
            by NC Scroller
            My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
            Today, 07:42 AM
          • will8989
            by will8989
            None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
            Today, 12:20 AM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            by Linda In Phoenix
            What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
            The bags seem easier on the surface.
            But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
            Yesterday, 03:24 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
            by will8989
            Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
            Yesterday, 10:32 AM
          • Sandy Oaks
            by Sandy Oaks
            As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
            Yesterday, 09:46 AM
          Working...
          X