Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone purchased large tools through Amazon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone purchased large tools through Amazon?

I just ordered a Dewalt 735X Planer through Amazon $558.

I just noticed after my purchase they said:

Shipping estimate for these items: Jan. 18, 2012 - Jan. 26, 2012 1"DeWalt DW735X 13" Two-Speed Planer Package"
    Tools & Home Improvement; $557.99
    Usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks

That's an awful loooong time to wait !!!!

It doesn't look like it should take that long before it ships , I have always know for them to ship faster than that - new one on me ...........MB
    Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

That is unusually long, but not unheard of. Some items are sold and fulfilled by Amazon, some are on the Amazon site and sold and fulfilled by others.
      Got Moose?

Comment

What that means is it is currently out of stock. The shipping date is when they expect delivery to their warehouse.
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I would never buy any kind of power tool through amazon, even if its cheaper. The one common complaint I read over and over again are people receiving damaged items. It may work out for you but you're rolling the dice buying that type of stuff through them. I purchased my dewalt planer elsewhere and saved amazon for the planer stand.

Comment

I ordered my planer I just got recently from Amazon, used free shipping, I believe it said 5-8 business days, anyway, I ordered on Sunday, and recieved it on Wed. that same week, I was pleasantly suprised, and it was not damaged at all. I also ordered my saw a few years ago from Amazon. No complaints here.
            Dan

My Gallery

Comment

I have ordered several large items, my Dewalt planer, Jet 6" jointer, Makita chop saw. All were deliver in a relatively short time undamaged. Most were drop shipped from some other supplier such as tool king etc. Tuesday I ordered the Jet Vortex dust collector
              It was shipped yesterday by truck (free shipping) to be delivered on the 9th. I will let you know how this works out.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Up date on my last order. The Dust collector will be delivered on the 3rd. So one week from order to delivery. Not bad
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I purchased my Jet planer/jointer through Amazon and it arrived in 5 days. The box itself was in dreadful condition - beginning to split the taped places, but the unit itself was perfect.

Comment

I tried to order a new DeWalt planer from Amazon, but changed my mind...they do not offer free shipping on heavy items to the Islands....add says they did, but I called before placing the order. Funny, because I have purchased other heavy tools from them in the past with free shipping here.. I ordered a new Kindle reader, and it won't be shipped until Jan. 3rd...I'm sure with the Christmas rush, there are a bit behind on the Kindles.
                    Hawaiilad
                    Larry

Comment

I ordered several large power tools over the past few years. And I had no problems. Evelyn and I are Amazon Prime members we pay $79 dollars a year and get free 2 day shipping on about 99% of what we order. Thay have or had a 30 day trial program for Amazon prime which may be a way to get an item really quick. Just become a prime member order a item then after it arrives cancel the prime membership but if you like Evelyn and me you may find you like it. Shopping as a prime member can really save on large heavy items and in a lot of cases speed up shipping time. As for getting damaged items Amazon has a great policy they pay for return shippping and even set up a UPS pick-up.
                      sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                      To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                      Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Amazon Prime member here too..

I just called Amazon, to find out what the story was.. I also called TOOL-KING since my purchase was fulfilled through them..

Tool-King had no info on my order at all.... Called amazon and they told me that it wouldn't be until FEB 23, 2012 until my order ships..

Well, I canceled the order, called Tool king back and ordered directly through them.. for the same price and free shipping...

Order will go out Monday and however long it takes UPS to deliver..

Comment

I bought my Delta scroll saw through Amazon and got free shipping (saved $86) and it arrived about a week later.
                          Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

I have gotten a number of items from "tools-plus." They have a low price guarantee and have free shipping for a lot of items. For items not qualified for the free shipping, it's only $6.50 per ORDER for ground shipping in the 48 continental states. They are a reputable company whose been around for over 30 yrs.

Comment

My experience has been 50/50 with Amazon UK.

100% with non large tools though.

I ordered a bench mounted router table for example as it indicated 10 units left in store. I ordered and recieved an email a few days later from the company that Amazon was scourcing from to say it would be a few weeks late due to having None in stock. (since recieved another saying the imported consignment had none so will now actually be February),

This has happened a couple of times where Amazon UK have stated a number of items in stock yet the supplier actualy having zero stock.

So now for larger items I check amazon for price and a link to the supplier and go direct to supplier.

I have also found it is easier to communicate directly concerning any issues with the supplier. For example I oredered an EX-21 from one supplier here in UK to be told they would have none in stock till February, so I cancelled and found the link to Axminster. They also indicated they had none in stock but I gave in and oredered anyway as they are mainmsupplier. I then recieved a phone call that they could ship one from another branch to their Warrington branch and ship to me sooner. I receieved it over a week later.

I doubt this would have happened had I gone via Amazon.

I ordered another item before that via Amazon then decided to cancel due to circumstances that meant I did no longer need that item and the company contacted me and I was able to cancell straight away, yet amazon kept indicating the item had shipped for a couple of week. hehe needless to say this was not the case, but I guess they have so many orderes on the go that they have trouble keeping up.

At least going direct to supplier I have found communications far easier and quicker than using Amazon as basically the middle man.

Small items however are fine, quick and reliable over here, or I should say have been for me for a few years now.
                              The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X