DeWalt Scroll Saw Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeWalt Scroll Saw Gloat

After scouring Craiglist and Ebay for a month, I finally managed to nab a Type 1 Canadian made DeWalt DW788. Paid $250 for it. Came with the stand, light, and some extra blades. The only downside is that I had to make a long drive from NYC to the Poconos.

Didn't really feel like using the word gloat, but seeing as that's what people say when they brought a cool tool at a great price.

Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 12-29-2011, 08:51 AM.
    DeWalt DW788 Type 1

That would be a pretty ride in more ways than one.
    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Ok Iam gonna go out and ask the dumb question is the 788 type 1 the better of Dewalts scrollsaw of all that they make?? and is the type 1 the only Canadian machine?
      Someone say tool or lumber sale I am out of here

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisherman_53 View Post
        Ok Iam gonna go out and ask the dumb question is the 788 type 1 the better of Dewalts scrollsaw of all that they make?? and is the type 1 the only Canadian machine?
        Well, I don't know alot about it, but what I learned in my search to find the best saw for me to purchase is that DeWalt used to make all their machines in Canada...and apparently the quality was excellent. One of the best machines out there.
        Then they outsourced the machine to Taiwan and the quality went down immediately.
        I read many bad reviews on Amazon about things being wrong with the machine and poor customer service also.
        One review said that they had to send it back 4 times before they got a machine that actually worked right, and one guy said that the company told him he needed to drill some holes so that some certain parts would match up and numerous other complaints.
        That's what I know.
        So I bet the type one is the one made in Canada before being outsourced.

Comment

Michael : lools like you did good ................MB
          Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Type I were made in Canada. They were generally quite reliable and had few problems. Look back a few years on this forum and it was all 788, and it slowly changed to EX21. It is all about reliability.No knock on the Type II, just an observation on the comments here.
            Got Moose?

Comment

I own a Type 1 and a Type 2. The Type 1 is much better made and has better quality components then the Type 2 brother. The switch over happened in the late 1990's. As stated above Dewalt moved the manufacturing to Asia. Some quality issues included missing parts, cracked casting, defective motors, cast iron tables that were not flat, etc. Now not all the saws were bad but a high percentage were.

Mike, $250 for a Type 1 is a great deal. It will last you a looooooooong time.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I am one of the people that went through 5 of the 788's and finally gave up and bought Hegner. And the saws I was buying were the Type 1. A great saw I had heard and really wish it had turned out good for me, because I liked the big table and the ease of changing blades. The problems I had was with the tension (inside the casing). Good luck with your new saw.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Ok have another question when did they stop making them in canada and how can you tell for sure if its made in canada as I found a type 1 here in michigan that guy wants to sell very clean machine he asking $300. I just want to be sure if maybe there is a code or something to tell were was made. thanks Bob
                  Someone say tool or lumber sale I am out of here

Comment

I believe all the type 1's were made in Canada. From the photo supplied in the first post it states right on the label (bottom right of WARNING section) that it was made in Canada. I think by law they must indicate the country of manufacture.

Tom

Comment

Tom is correct. All Type 1's were made in Canada and all type 2's were made in the Far East. From what I understand they stopped making Type 1's in 1998 or 1999.
                      Scott

Comment

Just under the DW788, the type is listed. Look at the first picture and it notes "Type 1"

I can't remember what I paid for my Dewalt (type 1) but was thinking it was about $350 new in 1998.....
                        T
                        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Hmm, I have to look at my 788. I know it is a Type 1 and I purchased mine brand new from Home Depot in 2005. Where would Home Depot get these if Dewalt stopped making them in the late 90's?
                          Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

Originally posted by Davisjr View Post
                            Hmm, I have to look at my 788. I know it is a Type 1 and I purchased mine brand new from Home Depot in 2005. Where would Home Depot get these if Dewalt stopped making them in the late 90's?

Best case you got a machine that had been sitting is some warehouse for some 7-8 years. Sorry to say I really doubt that. Worst case someone misled you into thinking you got a Type 1. I have a Type 1 and a Type 2. On the motor plate the Type 1 says made in Canada and the Type 2 says made in Taiwan. The two have very different upper clamps. The casting on the Type 1 is far superior to the Type 2 (flatter and smoother). I will try to get you some pics. Why I think your were misled is a buddy of mine had a Type 1 and the motor died after a lot of use. He took it to the Dewalt repair shop and they told him that Dewalt had a flat rate guaranteed repair. which was just a few $$$ more then the cost of a new motor. He took the flat rate. What he got back was a Type 2 machine with a motor tag that said Type 1. It had all the imperfections of your Type 2. For what it is worth you can still go to ereplacement parts and order Type 1 motor tags.

Sorry Dave.
                            Scott

Comment

BTW Dewalt lists the Type 1 as last made in 2001. Here is the link to their website:

ProductDetail
                              Scott

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              Working...
                              X