DeWalt Scroll saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeWalt Scroll saws

a question for those of you who own the dewalt saws?, which model dewalt has the lift arm? I have seen several remanufactured dewalt 788 but it seems like the upper arms are solid pieces.

I will soon be advancing past my current saw I am afraid due to the limitations of blade changing as for now I generaly feed the blade from the bottom of the wood its easier and faster then pulling the blade out tilting the table reinserting the blade realigning the table ect............ TIA
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Hi Daryl,

All DW788 (both model 1 & 2) have a lift arm assembly.

The DW788 is what is known as a top feeder as well as a bottom feeder scroll saw. And there is no need to tilt the table to change holes.

What you may be referring to is an add on called the EZ-Lift that keeps the arm in a lifted position, thus canceling the need for a piece of 2x4.

This is an inexpensive item that is bolted on to the side of the arm and uses a spring to keep the arm in a balanced raised position. Simple and effective.

Almost as necessary as a foot switch, in my opinion.

I personally think DeWalt should have made it part of their design, but I guess the engineer wasn't a scroller.

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Hi Daryl,
      I totally agree with Marcel on this one. The Dewalt 788 is a very easy saw to use especially when doing fretwork. I first started scrolling on a Delta vs saw. The blade clamping system was such a pita that I rarely did any fretwork, and top feeding was next to impossible. Once I got my Dewalt and learned how to top feed, fretwork became a real joy to do. I don't have the EZ lift on my saw, and the only time I use a piece of 2 x 4 is when I'm doing compound cutting. When compound cutting you have to bottom feed because the arm does'nt lift high enough for top feeding.

I also understand the price of the Dewalt has come down substantially over the years. I've heard people are buying them as low as $ 400.00. The guy I got mine from paid over $ 700.00 CDN. for it, and that was at a Wood Show. I traded him a Hitachi router for the scrollsaw, so I got a real bargain. The router cost me $ 329.00 CDN.

So the bottom line for me would be to advise you to go for it. I'm sure you'll be real happy with a Dewalt.

Just my 2¢ worth
      Marsha
      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Daryl,
        Gotta chime in here too . I did a lot of research before I bought my saw and the DW788 seemed to be the best for the money ...I got the stand too.
        I am extremely happy with it . The ease of blade changing/feeding alone makes it worth it to me . In my opinion you can't lose .....but you know what they say about opinions
        Just my 2¢
        ...~Robert~
        DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

hey thanks for the great info Marsha,Robert and Marcel thats just what I needed
          Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

The DeWalt is not vibration free like the Eclipse, I'll admit as much.

But it doesn't interfere with my scrolling. The front to back movement of teh blade is normal in most scrollsaws due to the movement of the arm (known as a C assembly) If you imagine a letter "C" with the pivot point in the center of the vetical bar, and imagine it in an up and down movement while attached at the pivot point, you will see that it doesn't go straight up and down but rather has a little front to back motion as it raises & lowers.

The scrollsaw is the same way, some are more apparent then others, but the DeWalt isn't bad.

I'd recommend you visit Rick Hutchison's website, he recently posted a lot of interresting videos on top of the already good documentation he had available.

Regards,
            Marcel
            http://marleb.com
            DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Vibration Problems

have gone to Rich Hutcheson (I think thats were someone told me to go) Checked things over there and was greatly pleased with all the information there. Thanks. Now I need some help with my saw and Dewalt isn't very helpful. My Saw is bolted down to a 3/4" Plywood board which is bolted to a three leg table (now DeWalt) My speed control makes the saw vibrate very bad at speeds from 6 setting above. I today read a review of this saw on the net (not sure where right now) but the explaination was they could put a penny on the saw and it did not move. Well I can't put one on flat and keep it there from these 6 settings and above. Does anyone think by tightening linkage this could possible help this. My Warranty is good an I don't see where adjustment other then these would help. If I take it too a Service Center it will be a week or so before they look at it and I find this wrong. For this type of maintenance. The saw is great and I think I will be using it quite a lot when this is changed.

Thanks Bruce

Comment

First, I'd suggest you confirm that the problem does lie with your saw. Take it off the plywood base and table, put it on a concrete floor and see if it vibrates there before you try anything else.

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Daryl,

I own the Dewalt Dw788 Type 1 and type 2. I just went in my shop, balanced a nickle on the table 2" in front of the blade, tensioned the blade, and turned the saw on at speed 5. The nickle did not fall as I advanced to speed 8. It never fell.. Now my saw is mounted on a plywood and 2 x 4 table that I made so that I can sit while I scroll, so I know there is no vibration as the table probably weighs 40 pounds. Above speed 6 the blower nozzle did vibrate quite a bit, but, the table was steady.

Hope this helps, as the DW788 has been a good scroll saw for me for 9+ years.

Gary

Comment

Take it in

Daryl,

I own a 788 as well, with the stand, light, and EZ lift. When mine came in it wasn't just right (something was clattering inside) and I took it to a DeWalt service center. They did an excellent job of tuning it up, under warranty, of course. It did take a week or so, but the time was well spent. Take it in and you will not regret it. It is a great saw for the money. I plan on having it for years to come.

Well that's my tupence.

-Bill
                    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I own a Type 1 saw and am very pleased with it. While not totally vibration free, it's pretty close. The air hose does not move even at top speeds.

As previously stated, I would bring it in and have them tune it up. If you don't get similar results to what we are experiencing, demand a new saw or a refund.
                      Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

I've read many threads dealing with the DW788 and have noticed quite a few of the newer owners have had problems. When I buy something new, I certainly don't want to have to haul it to the nearest service center right away. That's a lot of B.S. It's inexcusable. It sounds to me like the owners of the type 1 Dewalts haven't had the problems others have had. I recall reading at one time that the saws are being made in China now. Is that correct? Where did they used to be made? My Dremel is working fine for now but I know I will have to replace it someday. If a person is looking for a DW788, is he better off looking for an older one?
                        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Hi all,

I have to admit that when I first looked at the DW788, I was surprised to see that there was nothing to keep the arm up when you needed it to. Actually, I was thinking that maybe mine was missing something, so it's good to see that it actually was an oversight on DW's part.
                          I absolutely love doing fretwork on my DW because it is so easy to feed the blade (is that the right term). It makes such a huge difference. I guess I'm slow, because I actually haven't tried faster than about 5 on my saw yet.
                          Anyways, happy scrolling everyone

Sarah
                          What's that old saying?? A bad day scrolling is still better than the best day working??

Comment

Hi mitramom,

To hold the upper arm up for the DW788 while doing fretwork I have always used a 6" piece of 2" x 4" that is always at the back of the scroll saw table.

There is a star screw where the arm pivots on the upper arm of the DW788 that you can tighten and have the arm so it stays up when you thread blades, however, I don't recommend you do that as the arm will just loosen up after a short while.

Just use a piece of 2" x 4"...........

Gary

Comment

Thanks for the advice Gary, I will be sure to get that wood happening!
                              Mike - I heard the same thing about type 2s being made in China. Someone told me the type 1 is made in Canada (although I read on here somewhere it was made in the States). Either way, the type 1 does not have the problems type 2 is having with not being able to hold the blade when tension is applied. I have been told though that DW has rectified the problem....I don't have it in writing though

Sarah
                              What's that old saying?? A bad day scrolling is still better than the best day working??

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by jim_mex
                                Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by KarlB
                                Very well done!

Karl
                                Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X