Inexpensive bench top band saws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive bench top band saws?

Can anyone recommend a bench top band saw that is in my budget? I am limited to around $200.00. I looked at the Ryobi and pretty much ruled it out. Resaw isn't a big deal, I use the table saw, Size is an issue due to my wood shop is a 16'X24' Garage and it's already way to croweded lol. So far the Craftsman for 179.00 looks promising. But any advice is welcomed. Thanks, Wildcat
    Yea I walked through The Valley of Death and I kicked it's ***
    Semper Fi

Wildcat what do you plan on using the band saw for?
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

NC just small stuff, My neighbor has a big Delta for big stuff. I mainly will use it for small cuts such as when things are to thick for the scroll saw.
      Semper Fi

Comment

I bought a Delta benchtop at a pawn shop 6 years ago for $50.00, it doesn't do as much as my larger Jet bandsaw, but I use it a lot for smaller stuff. You may want to check out your local pawn or consignment shops in your area, if you don't mind used tools.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Wildcat, check craigslist, they have a tools section and you may find a bench top band saw advertised.

Mike

Comment

What made you decide against the ryobi?....i've had one for over 5 years and use it very often for long periods of time and have had NO PROBLEMS with it ....parts are readily availabe and reasonable. since you have other means of re-sawing a 9" should be fine for small stuff...the ryobi has plenty of power and real bearings instead of cool blocks...
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveW View Post
              What made you decide against the ryobi?....i've had one for over 5 years and use it very often for long periods of time and have had NO PROBLEMS with it ....parts are readily availabe and reasonable. since you have other means of re-sawing a 9" should be fine for small stuff...the ryobi has plenty of power and real bearings instead of cool blocks...
              Dave
              Dave I'll retake a look at it, the one I'm talking about sells for like 119.00 I just assumed it might not be ok. I've only seen them on line not in person.

As far as used I'm not against it and have been checking Craigslist daily, but not many to choose from.
              Semper Fi

Comment

Brain Fart lol Dave I was thinking of the Skil not the Ryobi!!! It's hell getting old
                Semper Fi

Comment

This one from Harbor Freight is the one I use in my shop for small cuts.

I also have a Powermatic 14" bandsaw that I mostly leave setup for resawing. I am an RC model airplane enthusiast and the little 9" Harbor Freight one gets the most use.

On sale right now for $120.00. The Internet is full of places to get 20% off coupons for Harbor Freight leaving you with a price of $96.00.

Bob

Comment

I have a 10" Craftsman and with some fine tuning it works good.I have even resawed 4 5/8" ash by just taking it slow.The most important tuning for me was for drift.
                    Tony

Comment

I have the 10" Sears and it is great. Solid cast iron table. Fence is very light. But saw will re-saw real close to 5". I think it is a Rikon with Craftsman lable. I looked at both and they are identical except color. Good clean tracking and adjustments.

I like it.
                      An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

Wildcat what are the steps you use to resaw with the table saw? I tryed it and it didn't work to good so I use my band saw now but it is to small to do some of the wider boards.

Comment

Trackman,

I sometimes resaw with my tablesaw. It beats planing 1/2" off a 3/4" board if I need a 1/4" board.

First attach a piece of Melemine (sp?) to the saw fence so the fence is taller than the board to be resawn. Make sure the fence is 90 degrees to the table. Shim if necessary.

Raise the sawblade slightly past half the width of the board to be resawn. Make sure the blade is 90 degrees to the table.

Cut the board. I use push sticks to push the board and to hold it against the fence because I'm not comfortable with my fingers that close to the blade, hidden in the wood.

Flip the board end for end so the same side is aganst the fence and cut again. Make sure you push the board past the blade to lessen the chance of kickback.

You can also cut boards wider by leaving an uncut space in the middle to cut with a handsaw.

Hope this helps.
                          Political correctness is always political and rarely correct!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenfingers 2 View Post
                            Trackman,

I sometimes resaw with my tablesaw. It beats planing 1/2" off a 3/4" board if I need a 1/4" board.

First attach a piece of Melemine (sp?) to the saw fence so the fence is taller than the board to be resawn. Make sure the fence is 90 degrees to the table. Shim if necessary.

Raise the sawblade slightly past half the width of the board to be resawn. Make sure the blade is 90 degrees to the table.

Cut the board. I use push sticks to push the board and to hold it against the fence because I'm not comfortable with my fingers that close to the blade, hidden in the wood.

Flip the board end for end so the same side is aganst the fence and cut again. Make sure you push the board past the blade to lessen the chance of kickback.

You can also cut boards wider by leaving an uncut space in the middle to cut with a handsaw.

Hope this helps.
                            Thats exactly the way I do it also. And Santa brought me a Ryobi 9" Band Saw
                            Semper Fi

Comment

Only thing I would add to that is that you may want to resaw in several passes, especially if the board is fairly wide. Raise the blade an inch or so at a time and make cuts from both edges. It will take longer, but will stress the saw less, be safer and may give better results. Also, be very careful if you cut the whole way through on the table saw that the fall away piece doesn't catch in the blade and kick back. This is why some folks leave the last little bit of the wood together and finish it by hand.
                              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X