I neeeed a router and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I neeeed a router and advice

I sold some ornaments and have scored well so far in getting money for Christmas. Now I need to get a new tool. I'm thinking a router should be next. Almost all of my projects are small so a power hog probably won't me needed.
    I'd like some advice on a reliable tool that will take a variety of bits. A plunge router that I can also use on a router table. I only want to buy one, for now anyway.
    Thanks for all the advice that is going to flood in.
    Oh yeah...probably about $200 bucks.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

I bought the the small Dewalt 2 HP several years ago and it works real well over all - not too big and enough power for the Router table . Now it's a Plunge Router - I have found it's the cat's meow ......my two cents worth........MB
    Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

hi , I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-90088...4692514&sr=1-2

I tried to make my own table as a quick fix. Failed miserably due to the fact I have to button press and trigger to opperate. I have ordered a benchtop table, but at the end of the day I will probably have to rig up a clamp for always on and hope I can use table switch to operate.
      The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

For small projects this is hard to beat.

Amazon.com: Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router with Edge Guide: Home Improvement
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Scott - you nailed it! For small projects, that Bosch model is top notch. I own 2 Porter Cable power houses ( a plunge and a fix) and for most of my freehand routing, I use my Bosch. It's a little powerhouse.

Steven - think about what you want to accomplish with you're future router. Of all 3 routers, my plunge is the one I use the least. They are difficult to use and for a table mount - they are useless. I always use my fixed base for my table and my Bosch for free hand routing. The only times I use my plunge router is when I need to cut deep rabbits. When making deep tenons etc., I use my drill for the bull work.
          It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

I went cheap for mine. I bought a 1/4" trim router from Harbor Freight for $20 and installed it in a good router table. Don't cut corners on the table. I had to make a mounting bracket utilizing the plastic (cheap, remember) holder that came with the router. Holding up so far but it is a little messy to adjust the height of the bit. When it cooks I will replace it with a good trim router.
            Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

I have a Bosch 1617EVS and love it. It comes as a combo of fixed and plunge. The fixed is in my router table and the plunge I use free hand. It is 9 years old and I have run thousands of feet of boards with it. (I made my own bead board for my rec room). It is only 2 1/4 hp but it seems to be fine for everything I have done but I don't do much in hardwood.

I think Amazon price is less than $200.

I also have a Triton 2 1/2 hp and do no like it at all. Does not have a smooth start like the Bosch and I could not make it work in my router table.

Someone mentioned getting a good router table. I second that as it takes your routing to a whole new level.

Don
              Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Amazon.com: Makita RF1101KIT 2-1/4 HP Industrial Router Kit: Home Improvement

Comment

Generally speaking, the multi-base router kits are hard to beat. They are available from several good manufacturers, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee are probably the most popular ones. I have 2 DeWalt 618 routers. I haven't mounted one in a table, but I've read on other WW'ing forums that they seem to have problems with the variable speed going out when used in a table. I agree that the fixed base is easier for table use.

I think most of the above brands have similar features like soft start, variable speed, 1/2" & 1/4" collet capacity and some of them have handy, above the table height adjustment capability. It's best to handle all of them before making a decision, to make sure you like how they feel in your hands and where the controls are located.

Good luck!
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

OK how about that Bosch pr20? Can that be mounted to a table?

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

I would expect so. As long as the existing sub-base is mounted to the router body with screws of some type, all you need to do is use those same holes to either mount it directly to the underside of the table, or mount it to a removable plate. The removable plate can be something as simple as a piece of lexan that you can then set into a recess in the table top. I don't know if the commercially available mounting plates accept the Colt and other smaller, palm routers, but you can make one yourself. I think most of the smaller, palm routers are limited to 1/4" shanks on the bits, but for that size router, you don't really need 1/2" shank bits anyway.

Merry Christmas!
                      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Stephan, i purchased a craftsman standard for my table & my plunge router sit's in my cabinet. You may use the plunge more, but, i just don't do the hands on type of cutting that i thought i would. I bought the craftsman table too, & it works great for me. Just attached the router & was ready to go. Good luck.
                        PERK

Comment

Thanks for the help. Still pondering.

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X