• Show
Clear All

• I was impatient today and went to HD

Yesterday I ordered 1/2 gross of FD-UR blades

Sizes: 1dz #3,
    2dz #5,
    2dz #7
    1dz #9

There going to take a few days to receive, So I went to HD to see what they carry and they only have Ryobi blades.

so I bought a pack just see who they would do.. i was soo disappointed. I had a feeling that they wouldn't do so hot anyways.. They cost about $13.00 for 3dz.

I put one (skip tooth 11.5 TPI) on the 788 and grabbed a piece of scrap 3/4" pine just to see how it would do..

and It struggled to cut it. for the heck of it I grabbed a 1/2" piece of Red Oak. and the blade didn't even wanna penetrate it at all without a struggle..

How long do the blades typically last? I know that there are a lot of variables.
    but lets say cutting 1/2" maple.. would it be 1 blade per small project pattern?
    Attached Files

Cheap blades, I don't mean price wise, are a big reason that you see lots of used saw on Craigslist or under 6'' of dust in a garage corner. People try them once and then quit.

BTW Vermont blades are even worse.

As far a cutting time blade life varies on the wood (type and thickness), how you cut (are you a pusher or do you let the blade do the work), and even the pattern. When used properly, I think you can get 15 minutes plus out of one blade.
    Last edited by NC Scroller; 12-19-2011, 05:32 AM. Reason: update
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I was patient hehe, (only because I was waiting on a wood delivery mind), I imported from Mike, and glad I did, very good blades, and also got a small chuck and some micro bits. I am glad I waited. Tried some Olsen blades but found mikes nicer to work with. May try the Olsens on some thicker stock, see how they fare with that.
      The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

and I thought 1/2 gross blades were a lot.. I guess I need to
        have many many more on hand.

what quanities of each size do you all keep on hand?

Thanks,
        Dennis

Comment

I got fed up with the Sears blades I was using, bought the exact package of Ryobi blades you bought and am not any happier. I went back the Sears I had on hand and they work better. If I am going to do more puzzles next year than last year I am going to invest in better blades.

Comment

Well, my EX-21 has been delivered today.
            I ordered some FD blades from Mike's workshop this morning....he emailed me and said they'd be in the mail today.
            They'll probably be here before I'm ready for them.

Comment

So Catlyn, how do you like your new toy...I mean tool? People have said that is a very good saw. Since I have two good Hegner's I guess I will not be buying another saw for many years to come.
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

I don't know yet!
                I was gone for awhile this afternoon when it was delivered. I got back and it was on the carport and it was getting dark.
                So I haven't even got it out to the shop yet. I am waiting until in the morning so I can work on getting it out there. It's heavy. I've got to figure out how to get it out there. I can't carry it. It was all I could do to get it up 2 small steps from the carport in here in the house! It says on the top..."This side up"....so I have to keep it upright like that. Maybe I can drag it. It's not very far to the shop.

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
                So Catlyn, how do you like your new toy...I mean tool? People have said that is a very good saw. Since I have two good Hegner's I guess I will not be buying another saw for many years to come.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X