Forstner bit extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forstner bit extensions

I glued up a few boards to make some bandsaw boxes and in one area it is better to drill a hole than to try making the tight turn with the bandsaw blade. I am using a forstner bit, but found it's not long enough for the thickness of the boards I glued together. I have looked all over this Island without any luck of finding a extension...for drill bits yes, but not for the thicker shanks. I found several on like, but they seemed to be sized at a bit smaller than what the shank size on my bits are....a no name brand. Where to you folks buy these extensions and do they come in different sizes?

Thanks
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

What is the diameter of the shank?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Bought mine at Woodcraft
      Bill

Comment

Here are a few.
        Buy Forstner Bit Extension 1 2 x 10 at Woodcraft

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Fors.../dp/B0035Y5LDO

Scroll down this page a little bit...no pun intended.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

That should get you what you want or need.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Can you drill from both sides? Can you drill one side as far as it will reach then use a small bit to drill the through hole then drill other side using the pilot hole you just made? you can also find long spade bits I have a 10 or 12" 1 1/4" one I used for the same thing.
          Jerry
          Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

I got mine at Woodcraft too.
            Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Not sure if this will work in your situation Larry but I had a problem like that recently. I drilled as far as I could then leaving the bit in the hole, raised the table of my drill press and drilled a bit deeper.
              Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
              Desert Woodcrafters
              Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I think the shaft is 3/8", but I will have to double check it tomorrow. All of the extensions I have seen online (even at Woodcraft) say they are to be used for a certain brand of bit. I know some them have a flat part on the shank...I do not believe the bits I have are like that (round only)...so I am not sure if all extensions can be used on all bits????

Mike, the add for Sears said extensions, but only shows a bit...I stopped into Sears last week and they did not carry an extension.

I tried what you said Stephen, but the box is just to thick.

Jerry that is something I could try if I use a very small drill bit....but again I will have to use an drill bit extension (which I have for small drill bits) and center the hole on the point of the forstner bit. A few of the boxes I am making need to be drilled out like this, so perhaps I will just order one of the extensions that will fit the size of my bits and give it a try. I have plenty of spade bits, but they tear out way to much for what I am doing.

Thank Guys,
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Read the box on the sears one it says..."Tubed. Extends any Forstner shank bit an additional 4". 2 set screws and hex key included. "
                  "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Larry

I will dig mine out and check it out for you. I am pretty sure it would work on just about any forstner bit with the right shank size.
                    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Just a thought, but could you drill before you glue the boards together?
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Rockler also carries them in various lengths.
                        Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks Mike...I missed that part on Sears. WD, I think that would really be hard to line up since I do not cut the boards to size except for the one end I run through the Jointer...I guess it could be done but and extension will work the best I think.

I looked on line again and found one at Amazon that says it works with all shafts (of different sizes of course). But the one at Sears might work as well. It must be an online item because the store here on the Island do not carry it.

Thanks for all the help and advice
                          Hawaiilad
                          Larry

Comment

Hope you get it to work out for you.
                            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Well, not sure I did it the correct way (is there such a thing?), but I got the hole all the way through the 6" block of wood. I bought a very long small bit and center drilled a hole all the way though so I had a starting place on both sides for the forstner bit...and it worked. I am still going to order an extension for future boxes, because I'm pretty sure this will come up again.
                              Thanks to everyone for their ideas.
                              Hawaiilad
                              Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X