Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter Cable Disk/Belt Sander

TKX

I have one of those. It's a workhorse. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jan

Comment

Comment

I'm with Jan, it is a workhorse!!! Have had mine over a year and no issues whatsoever. When I purchased it they said it was more of an industrial strength combo sander than most, which are geared towards hobbist and such. Whether it was just a sales pitch or not, it has my vote. The only issue I have found that Lowe's (where I bought it) is the only local store for the sheets for the disc sander and the only options are a combo pack of 80/120...so I try to buy a couple packs at a time as they do not always have them. I need to find another source for them as they are pricey and do not seem to last as long.

Good luck with your purchase!
        ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Kim

You can get discs/belts and just about anything else here Products - Discs - PSA - Supergrit
          Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Recently picked up an older (probably 15-20 yrs.) Craftsman combo sander for $40. 9" Disc & 6x48" Belt, stand, nice 3/4 hp belt drive motor, dust shroud and probably a good 100+ pounds of vibration dampening cast iron in it, and on it with the side table. Took about a half hour to clean up, oil, adjust, and attach a graphite pad. Now for less than $100 I have a solid sander and a full compliment of belts and discs. Better than new IMNSHO.

BTW, I've gotten very good service and decent prices from Klingspor for a while now. Plus they're a Festool Dealer (my latest New new tool addiction)

Abrasives From Klingspor's Woodworking Shop

I absolutely love OLD Porter Cable tools. Just finished re-habbin' a #503 "locomotive" worm drive belt sander, own a pile of their old Industrial Laminate Trimmers, etc. but I'm not a big fan of anything that they've put out since the B&D take over. Same pretty much goes for B&D itself for that matter. They used to market/re-brand Elu plunge routers for example, that I think were made in Switzerland, that were smooth as a babies bottom. Their 1 1/4 hp plunge was THE class act for as long as they made it. Only one out that would actually plunge smoothly with just one hand on it. Their current designs still LOOK pretty much the same, but between the sloppier bearings and tolerances, and cheaper materials throughout, they just don't perform anywhere near as well.

I've no personal experience with the current tool being considered, and several people that I know are happy owners of this very same unit. I'm just an old fuddy-duddy cynic about what manufacturers do to be able to mass market through the big box stores. Home Depot sells such a huge portion of DeWalt's tools now that they can tell DeWalt what they want built to hit what price point. Power tool development used to be driven by innovation and a desire to offer better and better, rather than cheaper and cheaper. That's why so much of the older stuff is worth fixin' and the new is pretty much throw away when it breaks. Just pick up a new P.C. trimmer and then one of their old industrial trimmers and you'll see what I mean. I'm not suggesting that this applies to this particular tool, but if it's made in China, I'd just as soon go straight to Harbor Fright and buy it on sale with their extended warranty and save a few bucks for abrasives.

I believe I saw a demonstrator of this model on sale at a local Lowes for about $130 when I was lookin' fer one, but the regular price was still up closer to $180 or so. Not knockin' it... just sayin', a quick scan of Craig's List might save ya some loot and get ya a bigger or better sander.

I realize that not every body has room for a big ol' belt driven combo sander on a stand, but if ya do, I would suggest given the old iron a look before ya plunk your money down to help stimulate the Communist Chinese economy. It'll maybe save ya some dough, get ya a better tool,... plus you'll get a big stupid smile on yer face every time you fire it up.

Of course there's also the historic significance as well. With the old iron you'll have proof that folks in the U.S. used to make some really nice stuff. Not tryin' ta be funny, but ya soon may have to take yer kids to a museum to make that point. : (

Galt would you do me a tremendous favor please? Would you remove the Ron Paul link from your signature line. Our spam arrestor program does not like it and every post you have made I have to manually approve them so they can be seen. I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks...
            Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-12-2011, 11:27 AM.
            Ron Paul

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
              The bags seem easier on the surface.
              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
              Today, 03:24 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Today, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Today, 09:46 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by NC Scroller
              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
              Today, 07:39 AM
            Working...
            X