Scrollsaw opinion:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrollsaw opinion:

Ok Iam looking to purchase a new scrollsaw for the basement shop. Ive been reading alot of reviews so far everything is leaning to the Delta 40-570 a 16 " throat opening, not bad for the price $230.00, But what is your choice or opinion? thanks

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-08-2011, 09:55 AM.
    Someone say tool or lumber sale I am out of here

Depends on what you want to cut with it. With a 16" saw you are restricted to 32" or less. That model has a small table. Wanting it for small projects, it would be a good saw for you. I didn't think you could get that model Delta anymore.
    Good luck with whichever saw you decide on.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

My experience so far has been - get the saw you REALLY want. If you settle for something less than what you really want you'll be unhappy. I don't know what kind of saw your using now - but it is extremely hard to use a saw that is "less than" what you normally use. My 788 was in the repair shop a few months ago, I tried to use an old saw of mine and it was terrible, luckily I found a used Hagner 18" on sale (for a great price) in the area. My replacement 788 is still in the box!

Sometimes the saying - you get what you pay for - is 100% true.
      Douglas Fraser
      Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisherman_53 View Post
        Ok Iam looking to purchase a new scrollsaw for the basement shop. Ive been reading alot of reviews so far everything is leaning to the Delta 40-570 a 16 " throat opening, not bad for the price $230.00, But what is your choice or opinion? thanks

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.

Comment

currently using an late 70's or mid 80's model craftsman 16"
          Someone say tool or lumber sale I am out of here

Comment

flyfisherman - you may want to go out and see if you can try some saws. There may be a scroll club near you and I'm sure no one would have a problem letting you give their saw a go.

I was shocked at the lack of vibration the 788 has compared to the saw I used to use and therefore making sawing so much easier and comfortable. The Hagner I just got has a much better cut than the 788, in my opinion, although it does seem to have a bit more vibration. Its a personal and a budget choice.

Good luck and I hope you get one that works well for you.
            Douglas Fraser
            Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

The Hegner has a much more vertical less agressive motion makes it a more precise saw. JMO
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                New PC keyboard has an error
                by jim_mex
                Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                Today, 03:47 PM
              • jim_mex
                Reply to Big week here
                by jim_mex
                Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I...
                Today, 03:32 PM
              • Quartz43
                Reply to New tools
                by Quartz43
                You have found out about retirement. Busy, busy and busy. And you need more tools!
                Today, 03:29 PM
              • wjbclocks1
                Reply to Big week here
                by wjbclocks1
                Enjoy life, Congrat....
                Today, 01:30 PM
              • Jim McDonald
                Reply to New tools
                by Jim McDonald
                Good luck getting ANY of that garden space!
                Today, 01:24 PM
              Working...
              X