Jointer/planer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer/planer

I have recently purchased a Planer/Thicknesser, I believe it is called a Jointer /planer in America. I wonder if anyone has experienced the problem I have. I have read it in a magazine that there is an issue with the jointer fence on a lot of these machines, that is having difficulty in keeping the fence 90 degrees to the table, and mine seems to be no exception, I can manage to set it at 90 degrees but as soon as I tighten the locking lever it pulls to the right leaving an inaccurate setting.

The machine is a Metabo 260 planer /thicknesser 10 inch table, while it is not at the top end of the price range, I think it is expensive for a consumer planer and would expect more accuracy than it gives, has anyone experienced this problem and if so is there any way to get roud it or does one just have to live with it.

Harry UK

Harry, I can not be of help with your problem. I have a Rigid Jointer and do not have the problem you have. But I would think the Company would like to know about the problem. Metabo makes good tools from what I know of them
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

Harry - from what you are describing, you have a jointer, not a thickness planer (at least by American terms). Thickness planers do not have fences. The wood slides in and out of the machine on a table and the tool is lowered onto the wood so it shaves off a layer. Then you lower the tool again and keep taking off layers until your wood is at the desired thickness.

Jointers work best on the edge of a board, but can be used to thin stock up to the width of your table top. It's problematic to plane a 10 inch wide board on a 8 inch jointer.

I think I understand your problem. The fence is moving as you tighten it. Is there a washer between the tightening lever or knob and the fence? If not, add one. If your problem persist with a washer in place, try setting up your fence a bit off to compensate for the tightening action.

Another source off your problem may be the wood you are using. Is it rough lumber? If it is, you are not getting a 90' on your jointer table because the flat side of your wood you are using to slide along the fence is not really flat thus distorting the desired angle. I know I've thrown a few variables into the equation, but I'm trying to help, not confuse you. I'll be watching this post.
      It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

Harry,
        I have a jet 6" jointer. It has stops on it for the 90 deg setting that works fairly well. But just to be precise I tighten the clamp almost completely and the use a deadblow hammer and a machinest square and gently tap the fence into perfect square.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks for all your help and suggestions concerning Planer/thicknesser fence.
          Firstly Bernie your suggetion of adding a washer to the tightening mechanism seems to be a fiesable idea not sure if there is one but I will check. Also in English terms my machine is a Planer stroke thicknesser that is a surface planer come thicknesser a dual purpose tool that can be quickly be converted to the thicknessing mode sounds confusing I know. I was toying with the idea of making a wooden fence with a fixed 90 degree angle what do you think?

Rolf: I was intrigued with your suggestion of using a deadblow hammer, I have no idea what one of those are can you enlighten me please. Maybe we have a different name for them in the UK.

Harry.

Comment

Hi Harry. I am in the UK. I think Rolf's dead hammer may be a wooden mallet. Does the fence have a camlock type lever. It does sound as if the problem is the lack of washer/s as NHokpic suggested. Start with one washer and then add more as required. I really think this will cure the problem. I had this on a planer/thicknesser I had and the washer cured the problem for me.

Comment

Thanks Fretnot, will try what you suggest, the more I think about it the more I think you might be right, will keepyou posted and let you know if it does the trick.

Harry.

Comment

Post us a picture, I'd be interested to see what this critter looks like. Might also help us to figure the problem out if the washers don't work.
                Pat
                Woodworking is Therapy.... some of us need more therapy than others.

Comment

The dead blow hammer is not a wooden mallet. It is normally plastic and the head is hollow and filled with steel beads. So when you strike something it does not bounce. For me it is a must have for assembling wood projects and tapping things into place in the machine shop. Dead blow hammer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

To see this machine being set up go the this you tube link.

Tom

Metabo Power Tools HC 260 C Planer / Thicknesser - Setup - Metabo How To - HC260C - YouTube

Comment

Try holding a square tightly against the fence and bed as you tighten the locking lever.
                      Dave
                      "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                        by NC Scroller
                        I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                        Today, 11:24 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by NC Scroller
                        Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                        Today, 11:18 AM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                        by jim_mex
                        Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                        Today, 09:17 AM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                        by jim_mex
                        Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                        Today, 08:42 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                        by Rolf
                        WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                        Today, 08:20 AM
                      Working...
                      X