Does anyone use this sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use this sander

I have been looking a different angle style sanders and found a different model and wondered if anyone here has used it, and if so how easy is to hold with one hand. Its called a Metabo compact random orbital sander. The quality seems to be very good.

Thanks
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

I looked at an ad for a 3 1/8" round metabo sander and two things come to mind. 1) Where do you buy 3 1/8" sanding disks? 2)I had a Bosch detail sander and found it was tiring to use a sander where your hand is not directly over the center of the disk. The Metabo is also like that. That alone would keep me from buying this tool.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Had not thought of the placement of the hand Jim...you have a good point. Amazon sells the sanding pads...not cheap but the carry them as well as other Companies that sell the sander. Here I am trying to find something that will ease the strain on my shoulder and may be getting myself into more trouble. I think I will pick up a mouse sander tomorrow....I know the Black & Decker mouse they are making overseas is getting a really bad wrap for not being built to last, but Sears has one I am going to try.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

well......a mouse sander.....hmmmm is that a little one just a little bigger than a computer mouse? I have had those from Harbor freight for just over $10. Each lasted about a year before the switches died on them. The problem with them is that they are not random orbital sanders. they just go back and forth. Nice and light but not as useful as a random orbital sander is.
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Jim, my thoughts is it might save me a little time on doing round over on the boxes I make. I do not use a router on my boxes...I choose to file over the edges where the drawers set. I use wood files allot in the contours of the boxes, so perhaps this sander will save me some time...my shoulder needs the rest

I will never know if the sander would have helped,i WILL never know
          Last edited by Hawaiilad; 12-10-2011, 02:06 AM.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

How big are your boxes? For rounding over, you might consider something like this: Mini Edge-Rounding Plane - Lee Valley Tools

This one does 1/8" roundovers. I think I have one that did larger.
            For a light sander, the best I've used is a Festool 125, 5" random orbit. At 2.4 lbs it's light, well balanced and has great dust collection. At $175 it's a bit pricey for a ROS, but I justified it by getting it for my wife for Christmas one year.
            Anthony
            "There's a very fine line between a groove and a rut."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
              by cwmagee
              Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
              Today, 03:36 PM
            • Sandy Oaks
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by Sandy Oaks
              So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
              Today, 02:56 PM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by NC Scroller
              I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
              Today, 11:24 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Big week here
              by NC Scroller
              Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
              Today, 11:18 AM
            • jim_mex
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by jim_mex
              Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
              Today, 09:17 AM
            Working...
            X