EX-21 adjustment issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX-21 adjustment issue

I bought an EX-21 last February and it has worked great. Have not done any cutting for a couple of months..seems like I fiddled with the rear tension knob and got things out of whack. It seems if I tighten the top clamp too much it just snaps the blade,or rather just chops off the top 1/2-1/4 inch of it. Everything is just way out of adjustment. And the little plastic tension lever on the front will flip forward for no apparent reason... When I got the saw I was amazed that I could cut and cut and the blade would dull way before it broke.

Any hints on how to get this critter back into factory-like adjustment?

thanks!

Phil J.
    Last edited by Phil J; 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM.

Make sure the arm is level with the table: I put a piece of wood beside the arm toward the back, mark a line, and bring it foward, then adjust to the line, repeat until level.

Don't use the knob in the back. If you need a little extra tension, just press down a little on the arm as you tighten the blade.

Because of the blade breaking, I think your issue may actually be with the set screws in the clamps. The set screw should be adjusted such that the end is just barely "proud" of the inside of the clamp, or in other words, looking into the clamp, you should just barely see the end of the screw. I've not gotten around to using a locktight to lock the threads, so the screws tend to get out of kilter over time. If the screws back into the clamp, you will damage the blades when you tighten the clamp and possibly cause breakage.

Let us know what you figure out

--------Randy
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

i do the same thing as randy, i use a little drop of loctite (non permanent) blue stuff i think? just so the set screw doesn't move around.

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

Thanks for the info! I checked that the upper arm was level with table, adjusted a little. Set screws I think are ok - really cannot hardly see into that small space well.

With no load it runs like a sewing machine, when I put a load on it such as cutting 1/2 birch plywood that white plastic tension lever on the front flips foward, relasing the tension and rendering the saw useless.....arrrrggg!

Short of duct tapee and/or baling wire, how do I correct that problem?

thanks,

Phil J

Comment

Call Ray at Seyco. There have been several threads here on that adjustment, and some have said they were wrong, so call and ask.
          Terry
          Got Moose?

Comment

I just fiddled with it for a few minutes....though it seems counter-intuitive, could NOT having enough tension cause this to happen? I loosened the blad, pushed down a bit on the front part of the arm and re-tightened....ran for a few minutes and it seemed to hold....hmmmm

thanks!

Phil J

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me with the tension lever flipping forward . Either the white flip lever needs to be adjusted by turning the white nylon screw in front of it or it might be worn out and you will need a new one. Call Rey at Seyco so he can guide you as to how to adjust it. I ruined mine initially because I followed some directions on this board that according to Rey were not accurate and caused my flip lever to prematurely wear out. Also as I have said numerous times on this board, if you are and EX owner, STOP playing with the rear knob on the EX. It's just to raise and lower the upper arm. It should not be used to give the blades extra tension. Once the upper arm is set to your liking, you should really never have to touch that rear knob again.

Comment

Thanks - I took a look and there seems to not be any white nylon screw anywhere around the flip lever - looks like it is just hinged on some metal grommet-looking pin....

thanks,

Phil J.

Comment

Phil, looking down, there should be a hole at the your top clamp. There you should see the nylon screw. On a post here some time back it was mentioned that they were going to do away with that screw. I've not heard of anyone actually getting a saw without it yet.

-----Randy
                  "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

give this a try

Comment

Northerner, your directions are the ones that Rey from Seyco told me were inaccurate. I followed what you posted and my lever prematurely wore out. I think the problem is that you should only turn the screw 1/4 a turn NOT 1/2 as you have written down. Just so you know, I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just relaying what Rey told me when I told him what I did.

Comment

no problem, and ray sent that pic with the instructions but never knew it was wrong?
                        but my lever works perfect on my saw so not sure whats going on with others?

Comment

Yeah I don't know, he seemed to tell you one thing and told me something else. Maybe it depends how out of wack the lever is. If it just needs a minor adjustment, maybe a 1/2 turn is too much. Rey is very helpful so I find it easier and better to just call him rather than looking through forums trying to find an answer.

Comment

one thing i know there are different types of levers so maybe one lever takes a different setting over another?

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
                              Phil, looking down, there should be a hole at the your top clamp. There you should see the nylon screw. On a post here some time back it was mentioned that they were going to do away with that screw. I've not heard of anyone actually getting a saw without it yet.

-----Randy
                              I got my EX-21 in Canada a couple of years ago and it does not have the nylon screw. The threaded hole is there but no screw. I can't figure out what the screw would react on to adjust the lever. Can anyone give me a clue.

Tom

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              Working...
                              X