sizing drill bits to match blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sizing drill bits to match blades

I've been scrolling for quite a while and have always had access to drill bits from local businesses, particularly Lowes and Home Depot. The smallest they have is 1/16", which is too big for most of my scrolling.
    So, I still need to check Sears and Hobby Lobby to see if they have anything smaller.
    My question is, most bits have numbers like 60, 63, etc. What number corresponds with something that is about half the size of a 1/16" bit? I went to Mike's Flying Dutchman site and 63 seems to be the best answer, or is that too small?
    Help?? Any comments and suggestions will be very much appreciated.
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

I forgot to say that most of the time I use a no. 5 blade or smaller. What size bit is best for no. 3 blades, or smaller?
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Comment

I figured out bit size by taking my favorite blades to a model railroad hobby store, and did them by eye......
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Mike does provide the width of the blade and a #63 should be the drill for SR #5. A #65 should be the bit for a SR #3. There are several web sites that provide charts for drill bit sizes if you know the width of your blade. Here is a no nonsense chart I use to determine size - Drill Size Conversions -- Technical Notes
        Douglas Fraser
        Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Here are couple references I have used...look at the Olsen Chart and it will tell you what they recommend and sizes, if you need sizes by OD then use the New York Drill Chart.

There are a couple places that you can actually buy drill bits just for scrollers one of them on the internet is: Drill Bits. I have also found some locally at the Harbor Freight store, they are not marketed for scrollers, but they are tiny and do the trick! However, they are not super long, so they do not work if drilling at angles in thick wood for bowls or inlays. You do have to be careful as they do break fairly easy. Using a drill press you may have to buy an additional collet so you can chuck them in your press.

I hope it helps and good luck in your search!
          Attached Files
          ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Mike at Mike's Workshop English featuring: my life story, a cancer survivor, scrollsawing samples and tips, community service, list of favorite sites and Flying Dutchman fretsaw blades for sale. also sells drill bits that are matched to the blade sizes.

Jan

Comment

Thanx and oops Jan...I had a blonde moment on Mike's site...duh....that is where I get my blades! Sorry for the brainfart - lol!
              ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Bubba, the smaller bits are called wire bits and come in sizes from about #54 (the biggest) to about #85 (the smallest). I use a #54 for a #5 blade and a #61 for a #2 or 2/0 blade. You can get them from Mike, Sloan's (in Tenn), or Wildwood-CherryTree.

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Mike is the only answer you need, trust me !!! dogs

Comment

If you have an Ace Hardware near, some carry a set of wire bits 60 to 84
                    John

Comment

Home Depot and Lowes usually have them but you need to look by the Dremel accessories.
                      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

bits

Hi
                        Check on the internet under widget supply, they have those small drill bits as does Mikes.

DEWALT 788 and Hegner 18vs..... AND STILL CUTTIN IT UP!!!!

Member of Scrollsaw Association of the World

Comment

I get my bits and the collet from Mike. One trick I have found with any small bit with and without a collet, is to place the bit against the wood before you start the drill press. I have fried several collets for small bit and none of them had a straight spin. When they are against the wood thy have no place to go...
                          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Yeah - what Jan said. Look in the right hand column.

Mike's Workshop selling Flying Dutchman brand fret and scrollsaw blades
                            The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                              Today, 10:32 AM
                            • Sandy Oaks
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by Sandy Oaks
                              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                              Today, 09:46 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by NC Scroller
                              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                              Today, 07:42 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              by NC Scroller
                              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                              Today, 07:39 AM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                            Working...
                            X