Another method of dealing with "fuzzies"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another method of dealing with "fuzzies"

Fuzzies are the bane of every scroller and we all have a variety of ways we deal with them. I think I've stumbled onto one that I haven't heard mentioned before. Many here have used flap sanders. The thought of getting one has intrigued me. The concept seems brilliant and for larger projects they are great, but I've always worried that they were too big and aggressive for very small, delicate fretwork like Christmas ornaments. I'm in the middle of making about 75 ornaments and it dawned on me that I might have something amongst my Dremel accessories that would be ideal. I rooted around and found something, sort of like these finishing buffs.

511E EZ Lock Finishing Abrasive Buffs - 180 & 280 grit (2 Pack) / Model: 511E

I have to say though that the ones I have don't look exactly like the ones pictured in the link. The ones I have are more like a brush, with thousands of tiny bristles, but I couldn't find the exact same thing on Dremel's website. I hope they are still available, because I intend to stock up on them.

Using a light touch and a low speed, these things work fantastic. I can get into all the nooks and crannies and clean off the fuzzies faster and easier than any other method I've tried and there is very little risk of doing damage to fragile pieces. I don't know if any of you are using this, but if you have a Dremel, I encourage you to give it a try. I hope it works as well for you as it is for me.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Thanks for the tip - I'm going to look for these at Lowe's today. I have what appears to be the Dremel flap sander but it looks way too aggressive for delicate work. These look a lot more gentle - and I appreciate the advice to use a slow speed as well.

Comment

Sweeeeet tip Bill, I have a few of those in my Dremel box, and never quite knew what to use them for........will certainly give them a go.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I have some as well I'll for sure give em a try.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

They look scary. Probably not as scary as my system which is a propane torch. Maybe I will try them.
          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

I use a propane torch. On really fine pieces I have a pen torch. Then I sand with a single layer of Norton 3x 220 or 400. Single layer lets it dip into the cut enough to clean the edges.
            May the wind at you back .....
            Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

In my ongoing test of this new method, I've discovered that these buffs don't last all that long. They are also a little pricey. I wore one down to nothing after cleaning up about 30 ornaments. I stopped at Home Depot on the way home tonight and picked up a few more, but they are a couple bucks+ a piece, so that is a consideration. They work wonders though. It took me about 1/2 hour to clean up those ornaments and it did a better job than I could do with my scalpel, needle files, emery boards and sandpaper. I'm still sold on the concept, but will reserve full endorsement until I've used them some more. While at HD, I saw a mini flap sander for the Dremel. I'm going to experiment with that as well. It was more expensive than the buffs, but perhaps it will hold up better. I suspect it might be too aggressive though. We'll see how this goes.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Keep us posted Bill!! Always looking for easier ways to sand!!
                Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

I like to blast em with heat. Propane torch is a bit too concentrated for me, but my forced air propane heater works great.

Comment

I'm using the little torch that is supposed to be for things like carmelizing sugar on top of creme brulle. It works well if you pay attention, but I'm also experimenting with actually burning the wood to create an "artistic" effect, since I've accidentally burned it several times.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by NC Scroller
                      I get them from Amazon. I normally buy them in packages of 100....
                      Today, 07:37 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Big week here
                      by NC Scroller
                      Leading up to my retirement I too worried about who would replace me. Truth be told I was more worried than my management. It took a couple months after my retirement for the feelings to go away. Now I only miss the people and not the job.
                      Today, 07:32 AM
                    • will8989
                      Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                      Today, 12:59 AM
                    • will8989
                      Sundays market
                      by will8989
                      When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                      Today, 12:46 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by will8989
                      I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                      Today, 12:27 AM
                    Working...
                    X