New Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tools

I am going to be investing in my shop again in the near future and I was wondering which tool to get. I have a use for both a band saw and a router. Do you have any recommendations on 1. which is more useful in your shop, 2. Brands/models to get or stay away from and 3. any other useful info on either tool.

I don't have specific recommendations as to which tool to get, just a few thoughts to consider when looking.

Bandsaw;
    You first need to determine the size you need, based on what you intend to do with it. If you are resawing, you will want at minimum a 14" saw with a 1Hp to 1.5HP motor. For resawing, bigger is better, but more expensive. If you want to resaw and can only afford a 14" saw, you can get riser kits to add extra height for resawing wider stock. Resawing 12" wide boards can test a 14" bandsaw, but with the proper setup and a good blade, it is possible. Just for a sampling of what is available, check out Grizzly line of bandsaws. They probably have the widest selection of anyone. Generally speaking, they are pretty popular with home woodworkers.

Router;
    If this is your first router, I would suggest looking into one of the multi-base kits. Several manufacturers offer kits with one motor and 2 or 3 different bases. Having a fixed base and a plunge base makes the router much more versatile. Bosch, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Hitachi and others offer these kits.

Best advice is not to skimp on these tools. You can drop a lot of money on either of them, but consider it an investment.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I agree with Bill. Over the years I have spent allot of $$$ on both band saws and routers. Started off with cheap Harbor Freight band saw (I still have it) and a cheap router (don't have that one...burnt up I think). I would look at the type of woodworking you plan on doing before you choose on one or the other...you may find you could have a use for both of them. A multi-based router really allows you to do so many different types of woodworking. I use a 14" Delta Band saw with a riser kit Bill is talking about. I would like to have a nice 17 - 18" band saw because I could find a good use to it right now.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

buy a good dust collection system.. start with simple and when you are ready to do the harder projects TAKE YOUR TIME...

Comment

For quality band saw machine selections, click on this link www.utilitybandsaw.com .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
            Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
            by jim_mex
            Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
            Today, 12:25 AM
          • keystonecop
            Bread and Cheese..
            by keystonecop
            ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
            Today, 12:08 AM
          • keystonecop
            Reply to Recommendations anyone?
            by keystonecop
            This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
            Today, 12:01 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to Turning to something new
            by jim_mex
            Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
            Yesterday, 11:57 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Turning to something new
            by will8989
            That is beautiful. Your design?
            Yesterday, 11:42 PM
          Working...
          X