Sounds Like a Rod Knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds Like a Rod Knocking

Hi everyone, I have been scrolling for a little while and have a Ryobi 16 inch varible speed with quick blade changer. I have noticed that sometimes after threading a work piece and tightening the blade I get a "knocking sound" and sometimes the saw sounds smooth. One would think it is because the blade tension is not tight enough causing the lower arm to hit bottom, and when I try to tighten the arms they seem tight. Anyone have any suggestions as to the cause?

flyingduck.i have the same saw.....i had the same trouble just after i got my saw about4-5 years ago......be sure BOTH arms are pushed DOWN before replacing the blade AND while tightening the top clamp.....my problem was that the upper arm was hitting the top of the upper support arm by the air pump/blower.......after re- adjusting the blade, no more problems.......you will be able to see where the upper blade clamp strikes the arm if you rotate the mechanism slowly by hand......just push the blade further up into the top clamp.

Comment

adding to the above post........BE SURE to lube the arms (bushings are located under the rubber plugs on both arms) this must be done as explained in the owners manuel......be sure to use the proper weight oil.......

Comment

Thanks a million Dave. I will check it out tonight as I will be burning the midnight sawdust. Too many Xmas projects and not enough time. I am aware of the lubrication points. I didn't notice the oil weight spec. I just used 3 in 1, but I have only had the saw about two months. I had a 18inch from Harbor Freight that had the old individual blade clamps for the plain end blades. What a pain, so when I got serious about scrolling I got my Ryobi. It works just fine except for this one little glitch and now I can fix that. Happy Holidays.

Comment

One thing you might also check is your blade holder when the knocking starts. Shut off the saw and move the saw through its motion by hand, and look under the table to see if your lower bladeholder is clearing the table, or if there is a screw that touches the underside of the table.
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I have the same saw also. You do have to make sure the tension is loose enough and that both arms are down, as Dave said. Where did you get the quick blade changers at? I've been thinking about them lately. Don
            Don

Comment

The 16 inch Ryobi came with the changers, a screw clamp on top and bottom arms for plain blades and also a "V" notch for pinned blades. Got mine at Home Depot for 199.00 but be careful, the clamp that goes on the screw has sloppy threads and will strip if you put too much tension on it. I learned the hard way, but a great guy at HD swapped mine for the one on the desplay model. I then found a place I could order the clamp, and screw for less than $4.oo (that should tell you how cheaply made they are) and I ordered 5 sets.

Comment

I believe I have the same holders. My saw is modle SC164VS. I ordered a few extra myself. I bought mine from Ryobi for like $0.83 and a tension assembly for $1.90. I bought 6 screws and 2 tension assemblies. It cost me $12.50 both times I ordered from them. The parts only cost me $7 but with shipping it was $20. CRAZY!! Don
                Don

Comment

Yep----that's the one! I really do like it. I found that it works better for me with the holddown removed and the left side panel taken out. That way I can make sure the lower arm is all the way down. I will take a photo of my setup and post tomorrow.

Comment

I still use my hold down foot, I like being able to move the wood around without having to hold it down too. But I did remove the side panel also, makes access to the bottom screw much better. Don
                    Don

Comment

My Saw Setup

Stuff #3 004.jpg

Stuff #3 005.jpg

These photos show how my saw is set up. I am pretty cramped for now but that will change early next year when we move to a new place.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what make is your foot switch? Been contemplating getting one myself, of course from here in UK, but be good to see if I can get that type here.

You can PM me if it contravenes onsite advertising guidelines btw.

Thanks
                        The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X