Braking blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braking blades

I am cutting on a Hegner Multicut 1. The blade is aligned left to right and front to back.

Up to a few weeks ago everything worked fine, no excessive breaking. Since a few weeks I can not make a proper bend or the blade breaks. 1,5" or 0,5" wood gives the same problem. Even no 7 blades break in 0,5" wood. Making the bend is very hard, but I can not figure out why.

Only thing that changed is the temperature. It was around freezing last week, and my shed is not heated (yet). Can that be the problem? Or do I have to look at some other options?
    edited

Dr. Bob, I am not familiar with a Hegner. You want good tension on the blade. With the saw off, push on the blade and it shouldn't move more than 1/8" in any direction. Too much tension is better than too little. Pushing the blade to the side will break it. Push the wood straight into the teeth. I don't believe the temperature would have any effect on blades breaking.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Dr Bob,
      where is it breaking? At the clamps, in the middle?
      Is it a new batch of blades?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Mostblade have a burr on the right side what makes the blade cut to the right.
        Move the wood some degree to the right, this makes it easy to stay on the line.
        Temp. should have no influence.
        FD Mike
        SD Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          Dr Bob,
          where is it breaking? At the clamps, in the middle?
          Is it a new batch of blades?
          The blades break at the clamps, at the bottom more than the top. When I use a blade on a straight cut of 5 cm and then remove it, it appears than the blade has been bent backwards. It has an angle in it where the clamp holds it. I don't get that, because I tried to push as little as possible, and that still happens.

I think I put enough tension on the blade because I received a set of try-out blades, and broke the first 5 no.3 blades while tensioning them. This happens with no.5 sometimes as well... Those break in the middle of the blade.
          edited

Comment

I have the same issue. I have two Hegners and it happens on both of them. It just started this past month. I think it is the blades. Some of the blades break while the saw is running and no wood near it. Other packets of blades do not seem to do this. That is why I think it is just the blades. I use Polar #5 blades.
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

During a streak of bad luck my lower blade clamp broke. It is since then that I know that there are 3 different sizes for the clamps. I have a intricate clamp on top, in which the screw clamps the blade (one size fits all I think?)

My lower blade clamp was 0,7 mm, so I bought 4 new ones to have on spare. I forwarded my problem to my blade supplier and he reacted with the fact that Hegner machines use 0,3 mm clamps for no 5-9 blades (which I use mostly). That annoys me since I just bought four wrong ones apparently.

Can somebody comment on the fact that this is true, or that this could be the source of the problem? Or that the upper blade clamp for intricate use comes in different sizes as well? I think mine is more that 1 mm wide, but because the screw holds the clamp, I don't think that is a problem?

Thanks
              edited

Comment

I have two different sized blade clamps on my Hegner saw and I use them both for the Polar #5 blades I use. Both clamp sizes work fine for me. I bought some heavy duty blades from Mike also and they also fit. (I find the heavy duty blades no better than the Polar#5's)
                Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Have you checked out the customer service department of Advanced Machinery, which is the supplier of Hegner machines in the US?

The website is Advanced Machinery, and you might be able to get more precise information directly from the source. You can easily contact them by email through the website.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Dr. Bob,
                    Just yesterday I got a call from a customer who had the same problem on his Hegner. He also had an other saw and had no problems with blades breaking. He found out that he never oiled his bearings. After he did that the breakage was gone. I have an Hegner and have no problem with breakgage but will oil the bearings as soon as the weather warms up.
                    FD Mike
                    SD Mike

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                      Have you checked out the customer service department of Advanced Machinery, which is the supplier of Hegner machines in the US?
                      I didn't think of that, thanks. If the problem continues I will do that.

Originally posted by 3_M
                      Just yesterday I got a call from a customer who had the same problem on his Hegner. He also had an other saw and had no problems with blades breaking. He found out that he never oiled his bearings. After he did that the breakage was gone. I have an Hegner and have no problem with breakgage but will oil the bearings as soon as the weather warms up.
                      Didn't think of that either. Sounds like a good idea since I bought the machine second hand and have no idea if it was being oiled or not. Thanks.
                      edited

Comment

Originally posted by 3_M View Post
                        Dr. Bob,
                        FD Mike
                        Mike, are those bearings at the pivot point of the arms?
                        Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Dr Bob

I have been using a Hegner for over 10 years and have never had this problem (other than now and agin you seem to get a duff blade). I regularly oil mine in all of the places recommended in the handbook. If you do not have a handbook, it can be downloaded from the internet - just "Google" Hegner handbook. I would imagine that the cold does affect blades, as it affects most metal, but not to the extent that you have been experienced. Get the oilcan out!!!

Good Luck
                          Sue

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                            by cwmagee
                            I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                            Today, 05:39 PM
                          • jim_mex
                            Reply to New tools
                            by jim_mex
                            Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                            Today, 05:26 PM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to New tools
                            by Rolf
                            Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                            My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                            Today, 04:32 PM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to Big week here
                            by Rolf
                            Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
                            Today, 04:19 PM
                          • jim_mex
                            New PC keyboard has an error
                            by jim_mex
                            Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                            Today, 03:47 PM
                          Working...
                          X